Author Topic: Sentura II can cap and the usual power switch question  (Read 2197 times)

Offline kerlkoenig

Sentura II can cap and the usual power switch question
« on: October 10, 2008, 01:01:15 pm »
I just bought a Sentura II, and I love it, but I already need to do some work with it because the previous owner has EL34s in it even though it still has the tube chart inside saying KT88s are the correct output tubes.  I've been nosing around and, even though it sounds good already, when I start fooling with it I would like to try bringing it as close to factory spec as possible.

One thing that I'm curious about is what the value of the can cap is supposed to be.  Right now it contains the two 50uf sections, but I wonder if perhaps it was supposed to contain the power supply filtering (3 x 20uf @ 525v, 1 x 30uf @ 525v, 1 x 20uf @ 475v according to the schematic).  I could see someone rewiring the amp to use caps of the correct value rather than keep the original layout with the wrong values.  The last service seems to have been done in 2001, and there weren't as many oddball cap values widely available then as now.  Or so I've heard.

Anyway, CE Manufacturing now makes a 30-20-20-20 @ 525v can, which I imagine could be used for the 3 20's at 525v and the 30; then two smaller 50's (the can is rated at 600v but the schematic only calls for 150v) and the lower-voltage 20uf could be fitted into the chassis more efficiently than all those big single-section ones.  Is this more like what Sunn originally did?  Even if it's not, it sounds like a good idea, but I'm far from expert in re-designing the chassis layout for correct lead dress, etc.  I'd rather not embark on such a project unless it's the original layout and I had a few good pictures of how it's supposed to be as an example.  So, does anyone have a good pic of the innards of their Sentura II?

Also, does anyone know the Carling part number of the correct power and standby switches?  Obviously this guy Tom does: http://sunnforum.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,937.0.html.  Unfortunately, he hasn't logged in for months and didn't feel it was necessary to share this information in his post, just to tell the other guy he was wrong.  I have a 1200S schematic (edit: the 1960s model 1200S) that says Sunn part numbers 24-0020 and 24-0040 for the power and standby switches.  Are those the same models used in the Sentura II?  If so, I can try giving Carling a call and seeing if they have a cross-reference that goes back to the late '60s... heh.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:13:30 pm by loudthud »

Offline noel

Re: Sentura II can cap and the usual power switch question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:16:31 am »
Sorry to be the bearer of the news but Tom passed away suddenly about a year ago. 

Offline george

Re: Sentura II can cap and the usual power switch question
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 11:38:01 am »
Carling switch pdf. is here: http://www.carlingtech.com/pdf/CarlingSW_TI_LTI.pdf

Do us all a big favor and contact Carling and see if they will sell the Tippette Rocker & Bracket Style Switch: 1L - long lines with one lens (page 3/5) in small quantities or what distribution channel does? I have found the 1S SMOOTH W/ONE LENS for sale in distribution for about $9 each.