Author Topic: SUNN PENETRATOR  (Read 3886 times)

Offline John

SUNN PENETRATOR
« on: December 28, 2000, 08:31:00 pm »
I HAVE JUST RECIEVED THIS TED NUGENT PENETRATOR 100W AMP. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY INFO ON THIS AMP.

Offline Don T

SUNN PENETRATOR
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2000, 01:20:00 am »
Hello:
 First question - Is the amp camoflage covered or black? There were two amps produced for Ted to give away at a Texas contest. They were stock Enforcer amps except for the silk screening. The name Penetrator and the knobs all went to 12 to "one up" Spinal Tap. They were covered with camoflage material. We also produced one black vinyl covered model for Ted to use on stage. They all came with matching 4x12 cabs (1 angle front & 1 flat). Teds black unit had 2 Sunn 81-0126 speakers and 2 Celestions in each cab. The camoflage cabs had all Sunn 81-0126 speakers. These were of the second design which had a piggyback relay circuit board replacing the FET channel switch. If you go to the 1984 instrument amplification brochure on this site you will see the Enforcer listed with specs. Also the 1984 dealer price list should list it. I have been trying to locate the engineer who designed the amp to see if he could help with schematics or tech help. So far no luck but I will post info as I get it. Thats about it.
Don T.
It's the ear not the gear.

Offline John

SUNN PENETRATOR
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2000, 12:53:00 pm »
The one I have is camoflage. I don't have the cab. but it be nice if I could find it.

Offline Don T

SUNN PENETRATOR
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2000, 09:53:00 pm »
Hello:
 That cabinet was a stock 412a and 412b cabinet made out of particle board and laminated with standard camoflage material. The pvc moldings were a proprietary die and made for us by one of Hartzel Corporation's other companies. If you could locate a standard box you could convert it to a camo unit to restore it to TED specs. The corners were ABS just like the Penetrator head. Other than that you could try to trace the amp to see what became of the camo 412 units.
It's the ear not the gear.

Offline ripchord

Re: SUNN PENETRATOR
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 05:25:21 pm »
 :wink:I am not sure if this is the same amp you are describing above, but I just bought the black one on Ebay, it has Ted's signature on it, I haven't received it yet, but as I am a new member, I was looking for more info on it and found this posting. I would sure appreciate more info as the seller did not have the instruction manual, or any paperwork. The seller worked for the "NUGE" back then, and acquired this and a regular Enforcer amp head(Never Used), and this one....both in dry storage for 15 years.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:21:12 pm »
Don T, are you saying The Penetrator is the same as The Enforcer except for the cosmetics? I have an Enforcer schematic dated 1/20/84.

Offline ripchord

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 05:34:41 pm »
Hey Loud thud, Nice to meet you, I SURE Would like a look at those SCHEMATICS, is there any way for you to pack it up or send it me via e-mail, RE: riptide11@live.com
I just would like to see without interruptions, once, !!! ptions

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 08:06:55 pm »
The schematic I have is a printed copy from a pile of stuff I got off ebay. The Enforcer has 4 12AX7's and 4 6L6GC's. There is a 60W/100W switch. In 60W mode you select 16 or 8 ohms and in 100W the same switch selects 8 or 4 ohms. The reverb is solid state. There are two channels, A and B selected by a footswitch and a solid state effects loop.

Go here and download the file to your computer (PC), then execute it. A viewer comes up sort of like Adobe. The schematic is at the end and there is a mod for a crosstalk problem on early units.

http://sunn.ampage.org/site/svcmans/enforcer/

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 08:21:44 pm by loudthud »

Offline ripchord

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 03:18:49 pm »
Hey Loudthud, Thank you very much!! I appreciate this, as I was not able to download other members who had this posted, I was able to copy yours. I have just struck a goldmine with some 12AX7's that are Vintage RCA's from the 50's. If you talk with WillH here on this site, He is the engineer who designed this amp, and he told me you could put either 6L6's in there, or if you prefer, EL34's like in the Marshall amps...I have not recieved mine yet, as I had to send a money order, it will take a little longer, but I am STOKED!! How do you like this amp Loudthud, now that you have had it awhile?? WillH says he designed this amp to have both the tone of Fender Twin, and Marshall amp, if you have the footswitch, you can play them seperately, or both together. That in itself is cool.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 05:24:37 pm »
I don't have an Enforcer, just a printed copy of the schematic. It's a little clearer than what's in that file I pointed to. There is one at Zoo Music in Dallas. It's been there many years and is in pretty good condition. I think it has the matching cabs.