Author Topic: Fair price for a 1969 SUNN 100s  (Read 2349 times)

Offline billharris

Fair price for a 1969 SUNN 100s
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:02:54 am »
I'm relatively new to the world of vintage amplifiers, and was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark figure for a fair price for this amp head. I am considering buying one but don't want to get ripped off here. From my understanding this amplifier has been serviced recently and is in good condition cosmetically and works perfectly from a functional standpoint.

Also I will most likely be running this out of a B-52 4X12 in my band. Specifically not sure what model it is. Any thoughts on this combination?

Any advice/input is greatly appreciated.

Offline Gtr_tech

Re: Fair price for a 1969 SUNN 100s
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 12:06:51 pm »
I have that same head in much better shape. All I can say is be prepared to have some work done on it. They ran the pwr supply filter caps to the ragged edge back when line voltage was 110v. Now we're upwards of 117-125. My caps are fried in mine....I need to get on it and get it back on the road again. Triode electronics sells a replacement filter pc board that mounts on the transformer bolts. I recommend that. They have 400v caps run in series for an 800v rating, which you need. The plate voltage is over 600 on these. I think I paid 75$ for it 20 years ago.

The ebay guy that says the filter caps are original on that one is fooling himself. If they're working at all they're in bad shape and will spew thier guts all over the inside of the chassis...and that makes a horrible smelly mess. Also rusts the chassis beyond belief...the electrolyte is etrribly corrosive.

Cool amp, yes....but  just like any other vintage amp it *will* need attention.

Offline Gtr_tech

Re: Fair price for a 1969 SUNN 100s
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 12:13:48 pm »
Just to clarify....I paid 75$ for the amp, not the PS filter board.