Author Topic: difference between Original Model T versions?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline chromecamel

difference between Original Model T versions?
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:37:52 am »
Hey, just looking for some clarification here.
So there's the original Model T with the silver knobs and no mid-switch.  And then there is the Model T that has silver knobs and a mid-switch (which I have) and there is also one with red knobs.  Is there a difference between the silver and red knob models that both have the mid-switch?  And, what would you say is the difference between the silver knob and the silver knob with mid-switch? (And the Red knob if it's different than the silver knob with mid-switch?)
Okay, thanks.

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: difference between Original Model T versions?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:40:56 am »
  Hi there,the tone controls work different in the red knob versions.The silver ones are a tone stack network,like a Fender,the red knob ones use a Baxandall network.Think of it like an Ampeg where the mid position is flat and you can cut and boost,so flat would be your tone controls all at 5.I think the preamp has less gain also.Check the forum for previous threads on this,esp.the ones from Joe Arthur,he has conversion mods,etc.,good luck Mel.

Offline chromecamel

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 07:22:27 pm »
Thanks Mel.  First time I've heard about the different tone control networks.  That's a big help. 
Now regarding the difference in preamp gain.  Just to clarify what I think you said... the Red knob with Mid-switch is different than the Silver knob with mid-switch?  Put another way; the Silver knob with mid-switch has a similar preamp to the silver knob without mid-switch (which are both different from the Red knob version?)
So much talk of knobs and switches!  Thanks.

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 07:39:04 pm »
All the schematic evidence says all Model T's with the mid switch are the same. The red knobs were just used as the silver knobs ran out.

Offline chromecamel

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 10:49:41 am »
Beautiful.  Thanks.