Author Topic: 300T for guitar  (Read 2570 times)

Offline jdfarrell81

300T for guitar
« on: February 10, 2009, 02:06:41 pm »
Has anyone else tried the 300T as a guitar head?

I gave it a shot this week, and it sounds phenomenal. The plethora of controls are a bit daunting at first, but, after wrapping my head several dozen knobs, sliders, and buttons, I'm really pleased with the tone and versatility.

It's obviously an outstanding bass head, but I'd love to hear the thoughts of anyone who's used it for guitar.

Offline fender_bender

Re: 300T for guitar
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:12:15 am »
You took the idea from my head. I personally would like to know and/or experience what a cranked dropped b flat tune guitar sounds like through a 300t and a fuzz pedal. :evil:

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:24:29 am »
If you have the chance, I highly recommend trying it. It's astonishingly powerful, and the tonal possibilities are almost limitless. The cleans are beautiful, the crunch is surprisingly tight, and--for the drone fiends--it can easily produce a wall of sound that rivals anything produced by SunnO))).

Offline fender_bender

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 03:18:33 am »
The cleans are beautiful, the crunch is surprisingly tight, and--for the drone fiends--it can easily produce a wall of sound that rivals anything produced by SunnO))).

I would think 300 watts of tube power would be suffcient for any noise/drone/doom/metal, project.

With the overhead of tube amps and bridging cabs it would get so loud. fender makes the "bassman 300" and if I understand correctly it's the 300t design with a fender label/branding.

I would love to have one for my heavier/louder projects, but I just have this aversion to printed circuit boards, and hand-wiring what seems like a complicated circuit judging by it's faceplate controls, would in effect be a pain in the ass, but I haven't checked out the schematic. I wouldn't be opposed to tinkering with one of those beasts, though. :evil:

Offline wickedkingwickr

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 08:55:27 am »
I sold my 300T to my guitar player, and I use a 70's Model T.  The 300T is balls loud for guitar. He plays it through an old ampeg fridge bass cab. It sounds pretty freaking amazing. 

www.whenthedeadboltbreaks.com

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 11:05:46 am »
After another week of tinkering with it, I have to agree with you: It really does sound amazing for guitar. I'm running it through an early 70's 2x15 Concert Bass cab and a Sunn 610s.

It'll still be my primary bass head for the forseeable future, but I think it's also my new go-to guitar head.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 07:41:54 pm »
After another week of tinkering with it, I have to agree with you: It really does sound amazing for guitar. I'm running it through an early 70's 2x15 Concert Bass cab and a Sunn 610s.

It'll still be my primary bass head for the forseeable future, but I think it's also my new go-to guitar head.

Are you sure it will be loud enough?  :wink:

Offline wickedkingwickr

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 06:16:49 am »
Ha, maybe!  There is just something beautiful about the sound when its real loud, tuned low, and a ton of fuzz. Whats better I ask?????? God damn I love rock and roll.