Author Topic: Info Request - Sunn 412V Cab  (Read 2655 times)

Offline gpenguins

Info Request - Sunn 412V Cab
« on: March 08, 2006, 08:43:20 am »
Hi,

I just picked up a Sunn 4x12 cabinet and cannot find any information on it.  There is no logo on the front and it has a black mesh front cover.  The rear is closed and has a plate on it that says "412V" on it.  I can get some pics and the serial number, too, if that would be helpful - I'm not at home right now.

Any information (when these were made, anything about the speakers, etc.) anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 12:20:55 pm »
The V designation usually meant Cerwin Vega drivers. I've seen it on bass cabinets, but never on a 412 before.

It might be a Vega model of the 412S. If so, it would have been made in the mid-seventies. I'm not very confident of this, though, especially as the 412S and variations had silver grills, not black. Got any pictures? You say the rear is closed, but is it removable?
Isaac

Offline gpenguins

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 11:44:42 am »
Isaac,

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.  I'll put some pics up tonight.

Dave

Offline gpenguins

Re: Info Request - Sunn 412V Cab
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 03:59:16 pm »
Okay, like 3 years later, but here's the pics of the 412V.  It's basically sat in the corner for 3 years since I got it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v655/gpenguins/Sunn%20412V/

A question I had is if this is a bass or guitar cab.  The guy I got it from used it with his guitar, but someone else suggested to me it was a bass cab because it's only 4 ohm. 

Once again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Info Request - Sunn 412V Cab
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 06:55:07 pm »
Sunn didn't specify cabinets for guitar or bass in those days. It was a mix and match, use what you want idea. However, you can be sure that it was not designed as a bass cabinet. OTOH, IIRC, John Entwistle used Sunn 412 cabinets (I'm thinking 412M, but I really don't know) as part of his bass rig, along with 118 cabinets. The Sunn 412 cabinets of the day were 4 ohms in order to get the max power from the Coliseum amps, which were stable down to 2 ohms, as was the Model T.
Isaac