Author Topic: Would this cab be good for bass?  (Read 2317 times)

Offline hamhock

Would this cab be good for bass?
« on: February 25, 2009, 08:30:52 pm »
So I know this cab was probably designed for guitar, but since it is vented could I possibly use it for bass and does any one have a suggestion on speakers for this cab? Thanks.

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
Re: Would this cab be good for bass?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:52:23 am »
Is that a 24 inch wide cab? Those cutouts look awfully close together. Normal 10s might not fit. In that case, your only choice is the Peavey Scorpion 10 which has the flat places in the frame. I know this because I tried to put Eminence speakers in a Peavy cabinet and they wouldn't fit :( Scorpion speakers can't take much bass. Six of them would be good for about 60W and that's it.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
Re: Would this cab be good for bass?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 05:34:58 pm »
6 scorpion 10's only good for about 60 watts?

Scorpions have a fairly stiff spider, a 2/5" edgewound voice coil and a medium weight cone. Very much the same as the 10's made by Eminence for use in many bass cabinets. I have used 2 of them in a smallish cabinet with about 40 watts and thought they were OK. Not enough low end for me but great highs. As in so many cases, I guess it would depend on how you EQ your guitar and amp, the cabinet, the ports, and who's on first. Don't know how they would sound but I would expect them to be able to handle at least double that number....but never having done it, can't really say.