Author Topic: Sunn transducer c12n question  (Read 2692 times)

Offline anthonyf516

Sunn transducer c12n question
« on: July 05, 2009, 03:15:02 pm »
Hey all,

pardon me if this comes off as a newbie question, but i have a bunch of sunn amps and cabs,  and i just got my hands on four  12 inch sunn transducer for 60 bucks total.  i figured why not?  anyway, they are marked as c12n's which leads me to believe they are the jensen made speakers.  my question is i cannot for  the life of me find any info on the ohmage for each speaker.  im assuming they are 8 ohms, but i have tried to research the hell out of them and came up with nothing.  i dont want to assume they are 8 ohms and wire them up and blow a head.  anyone have any info?

here are some pics for those that may be able to help

a thousand thanks for any help provided!

Offline MusicFox

• Zoot Suit Riot
Re: Sunn transducer c12n question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 03:43:10 pm »
You need an Ohm Meter  :? or commonly known as a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) a 8 ohm speaker will read between 5.8 or 7 or so ohms in my experience.... it has something to do with the meters own DC voltage and current type. no worries  :-D . A 4 ohm speaker will be 3.2 or something like that. A 16 would be a little less than 16. Digital ohm Meters can be had for $10 sometimes on sale in Big Box stores. A valuable tool. A plain old analog one will work of you can find one at a garage sale. Check battery compartment for old leaky. Borrow one from a techie geek like me. Sorry  :cry: I'm in CANADA. 
Bands currently. For Fox Sake (Lead Guitar) Aces High (5 string Bass) Zoot Suit Riot (Tenor Sax) Miles to Midnight (Fretless jazz bass) Rockfish (5 string bass) Spent Youth (5 string bass) Tried as Adults (5 string bass)

Offline jaybird

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 11:40:17 am »
So Sunn used Jensens in their cabs as stock speakers? I picked up a 4x12 cabinet on craigslist a few months back that had three c12n's and one utah. The Jensens didn't have any Sunn labels on them though...

I have a thread about it here:

http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,4491.msg16902.html#msg16902

I had assumed since they weren't labeled as "sunn transducers" then they probably weren't original, but this makes me wonder...

Coliseum 300
Fender-era Sunn 215 cab

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:51:53 pm »
I would guess Sunn, like everyone bought from who gave them the best price and met their spec. Just because you found them in a Sunn cabinet doe not mean they came originally in the cabinet. Someone could have blown them in 1975.

I do know that Sunn did have a speaker company in the '70's. Some place in the south I recall. From what I can gather in my research, they made their own speakers for some 10 or more years.