Author Topic: going to play guitar through Beta Bass- Insights on optimal cab?  (Read 2647 times)

Offline bassmastergeneral

I have an old beta bass head and was thinking it'd be cool to have my friend play overdriven guitar through it, any ideas as to which cabinets would best compliment this?

thanks

Offline wilddeath

Re: going to play guitar through Beta Bass- Insights on optimal cab?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 05:43:41 pm »
any cabinet will sound fine... There really is no difference in the beta bass and beta lead amp. I've owned several of each (thats why i keep flipping them, they have the same mojo in every amp!)  Optimally speaking, probally a 4x12 or open back 2x12 IMO.

Offline Jonathyn

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 06:07:37 pm »
This is good to know! I've just won a Sunn PB-10 Beta preamplifier on ebay to play my guitars through. The only noticable differences from the exterior is that the PL-20 has reverb and says PL-20 on it instead of PB-10.
 I grabbed it because it was at such a low price including shipping to England and also I knew how rare the two Sunn rack units are, I'd never heard of either.
 Josh Homme of Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age fame played through bass amps, and he's one of my favourite guitarists of all time. So I'm really looking forward to playing detuned through the PB-10.
 Just one question though: is there less gain available with the PB-10 compared to the PL-20? I hope they didn't cut the gain down for the bass version.

Thanks.

jM
1969 Sunn Sceptre w/ GT6550
Modern Laney 4x12 with replacement Sunn logo

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:23:53 pm »
I am impressed with the amount of sound that comes out of the 212LH cabinet with some Celestions or the like in them. An amazing midrange punch as well with guitar.

I would suggest a closed back cabinet for overdriven guitar sound, IMHO. Overdriving on the front end makes me think you want to be in control on the back end, the speakers and not wanting them to be running to the excursion limits with the square waves you will be sending them.