Author Topic: Sunn Concert Slave and 215B as a guitar amp.  (Read 3303 times)

Offline law762

Sunn Concert Slave and 215B as a guitar amp.
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:44:55 pm »
I know a concert slave and a 215 cabb would work as a guitar amp, but will it be able to produce good cleans and high end for guitar? Or will it always be low and muddy? I know the slave is just a pa so preamp would have a lot to do with it, but even with good preamp could it produce sufficient high end for guitar?
Thanks

Offline knw

Re: Sunn Concert Slave and 215B as a guitar amp.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:40:59 pm »
I've played my Gibson Les Paul trough my late 70's Sunn Concert Bass and 215B cab and sounds really good I was amazed on how well it sounded.  Super clean and very warm sounding no problem with the high end.  I was getting excellent clarity and definition.

If your setup sounds muddy I would look into:

1. preamp tweaking.
2. guitar pick ups.
3. speakers.

Ether one could be the cause of your problem.

Offline matto)))

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:58:53 am »
a concert slave will NOT work as a guitar amp or any amp for that matter.  the slave is just an extension of power meant to drive more cabinets,  what you need is an amp with a "pre-amp out" jack on the back,  and that connects to the slave.  the slave then powers multiple cabs while keeping the same tone of the master head.  so      you don't even need the slave,  considering you're only trying to run through one cabinet and you technically don't even have an amp.  and the guy above seems to have confused the concert slave with a concert bass,  and pre-amp tweaking wont help if you don't even have pre-amp

Offline jerryjg

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:29:23 pm »
I tried a couple of amps out the 215B Cabinet with both  a pair of old  50 watt 15" Jensens and also tried EV 150  watt Force 15's. The verdict? Sucked. Ported cabints are tuned for bass and likely won't give you much if any good punchy mids or jangly spangly clean highs.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 01:12:32 am »
law762, which 215 cabinet do you have? do you know what drivers are in it, and would you be willing to change them? What kind of guitar sound are you looking for?

matto)))'s comments to the contrary notwithstanding, with the right preamp, it's possible for this to sound quite good. You are correct that you'll need a preamp, of course.
Isaac