Author Topic: Concert Slave running hot even when not playing...  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Metal_Matt

Concert Slave running hot even when not playing...
« on: August 20, 2009, 03:49:45 pm »
I've had this problem before in my other two amps, and was able to correct it by simply "turning down" the bias knob until the amps only heated up when playing. I realize this isn't the proper way of adjusting bias but in my other two amps, it's served me well, and I've had no trouble. I don't have a lot of knowledge about the inner workings of amps, but I guess I know enough to not shock/kill myself.

When I don't have my full rig hooked up, I use my Concert Bass and one of my slaves to power my 4x10 and 1x18. The input sensitivity on the slave is at 10 which I read was basically the same as the power amp being completely open inside my concert bass. Playing in my room with the volume on my CB at 2 or 3, I noticed my slave amp was running really hot, even when I've stopped playing. Turns out the bias knob was turned all the way clockwise. So I started messing with it and am unable to get the amp to stop heating up while idle. I've got it running a lot cooler, but also noticed two components inside the amp are heating up. Not to the point I can't touch them, but still a bit concerned about it.

The row of four smaller beige components to the right, the top two are the ones heating up.

Just wondering if anyone here might be able to tell me what would be causing this, why I can't get the amp to run completely cool while not playing. I know when to stop messing with stuff and when I'm in over my head, so if it's anything more than something like replacing components, which I've done before, I'll take it to a tech. I should note I've been running the amp at shows, where it gets pushed a lot harder for months now and had no problems, so maybe I'm just worrying about nothing.