Author Topic: Ready for a Sunn Bass Head  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Joe

Ready for a Sunn Bass Head
« on: December 24, 1999, 02:24:00 pm »
Ive tried all the old Ampeg, Acoustic, Kustom, etc. and am hoping to find my sound in the Sunn. I found my sound in a cab- an old Ampeg B42X 4x12 8 ohms
and want to go for the best high power Sunn, around 300w rms at 8 ohms is what I will need, be it vintage or not.I do not abuse my speakers, I probably run them around 100w rms on stage, but need that headroom for live punch on transients while getting the awesome tone! Guys have recommended these- Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead!, Coliseum 880, the NEW 1200S (which I tried at a store and it was GREAT), and the new 300T. Any info/comparisons/sonic descriptions/advice would be appreciated. Keep in mind Im looking for mondo headroom and volume, tone (I tend to like the tone of vintage heads but none yet have had enough headroom live), and reliability.
Thanks very much in advance..

Offline phil

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 1999, 07:20:00 pm »
: Ive tried all the old Ampeg, Acoustic, Kustom, etc. and am hoping to find my sound in the Sunn. I found my sound in a cab- an old Ampeg B42X 4x12 8 ohms
: and want to go for the best high power Sunn, around 300w rms at 8 ohms is what I will need, be it vintage or not.I do not abuse my speakers, I probably run them around 100w rms on stage, but need that headroom for live punch on transients while getting the awesome tone! Guys have recommended these- Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead!, Coliseum 880, the NEW 1200S (which I tried at a store and it was GREAT), and the new 300T. Any info/comparisons/sonic descriptions/advice would be appreciated. Keep in mind Im looking for mondo headroom and volume, tone (I tend to like the tone of vintage heads but none yet have had enough headroom live), and reliability.
: Thanks very much in advance..

Well I have a new 300T and two 410H cabs. I didn't
think anyone wanted to talk new Sunn here, but I
am willing if you will listen.
 I got the head at SamAsh for $899. It has lots
of clean headroom, depth, great fat tones, and is
LOUD. It is a heavy mother, but I think this is
necessary in bass amplification. It has a foot-
switch which has 3 buttons: for channel switching,
eq, and compression. I love mine, am waiting for
the news to spread. This is all tube, I traded up
from an Ampeg SVPPRO 810 rig. There is just no
comparison. My Thunderbird just sings, at times
sounds like a B-52 making a low pass...go tubes
brother, go tubes. Sunn is it.

Offline Ranger Talon

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 1999, 02:55:00 pm »
: : Phil,

My bass player and I have been contemplating a new amplifier setup, and want to go Sunn (Model T for me; a 300T for him).  My question is, how is the sound, power and volume of the 4/10's, compared to say, 2 15" cabs like he was thinking?  Do the 10's cut it sufficiently?  He is currently running a Crate s/s system, with a 15 and a 4/10 arrangement, and is not satisfied on sound, power, or volume.  He thought with the Sunn 300W Tube system running into 2/15 cabs, that would be the ticket.  Please share your experience with the 4/10's.  Thanks!!!

Offline Ranger Talon

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 1999, 02:58:00 pm »
: : : Phil,

: My bass player and I have been contemplating a new amplifier setup, and want to go Sunn (Model T for me; a 300T for him).  My question is, how is the sound, power and volume of the 4/10's, compared to say, 2 15" cabs like he was thinking?  Do the 10's cut it sufficiently?  He is currently running a Crate s/s system, with a 15 and a 4/10 arrangement, and is not satisfied on sound, power, or volume.  He thought with the Sunn 300W Tube system running into 2/15 cabs, that would be the ticket.  Please share your experience with the 4/10's.  Thanks!!!

Phil:  Sorry, hat should have read 2 2X15 Sunn cabs in lieu of 2 4X10 cabs.

Offline sunn

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 1999, 07:43:00 pm »
Greetings Gents,
   First of all let me tell you that I work for SUNN. Secondly, I'm a bass player. The bloke that is now writing to you is the BASS PLAYER and twenty-five year SUNN FAN. Consider this setup if you would.
A 300T head with 1 4x10 and 1 2x15. As this is my personal rig as well, I can tell you that this combination offers the presence that only 10's will deliver, AND, the thunder that an outstanding 2x15 will supply. Give it a try. I don't think that you'll be disappointed.
Bass-ically Yours,
Rich Briere
Fender/SUNN
www.richbriere.com    

Offline phil

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 1999, 11:28:00 pm »
Well maybe Rich has a very good idea about
combining the 410 and 215 cabs; you will certainly
not be asking for more of anything if you do!
I have two of the 410 cabs and am very satisfied.
In fact, I have only hooked up both cabs once so
far. It was so deep and full, I am STILL satisfied,
and that was over a month ago. Well, I am waiting
to play in a larger room. My band practices in a
garage, and one of the 410 cabs is sufficient. In
fact, I have not been able to get the master volume
past "3", it is so loud, full, and deep. The drummer
in partuiclar is impressed, everyone just feels
my bass (a passive dual humbucker T-Bird) in their
chest. Plus, when you stack the two cabs together,
it is so TALL, I am 5'11', and I am still looking
up at the controls. It is really awesome. Your
bass player cannot go wrong with either setup. It
is just a matter of taste as to which cabs to get.
Sunn rocks!

Offline Joe

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 1999, 12:22:00 am »

: Ive tried all the old Ampeg, Acoustic, Kustom, etc. and am hoping to find my sound in the Sunn. I found my sound in a cab- an old Ampeg B42X 4x12 8 ohms
: and want to go for the best high power Sunn, around 300w rms at 8 ohms is what I will need, be it vintage or not.I do not abuse my speakers, I probably run them around 100w rms on stage, but need that headroom for live punch on transients while getting the awesome tone! Guys have recommended these- Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead!, Coliseum 880, the NEW 1200S (which I tried at a store and it was GREAT), and the new 300T. Any info/comparisons/sonic descriptions/advice would be appreciated. Keep in mind Im looking for mondo headroom and volume, tone (I tend to like the tone of vintage heads but none yet have had enough headroom live), and reliability.
: Thanks very much in advance..

SO, Guys, are we concluding that out of the aforementioned amps( coliseum bass, Coliseum 880,
new 1200s and the new 300T that the 300T is the winner?

Offline sunn

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 1999, 05:42:00 am »
:
: : Ive tried all the old Ampeg, Acoustic, Kustom, etc. and am hoping to find my sound in the Sunn. I found my sound in a cab- an old Ampeg B42X 4x12 8 ohms
: : and want to go for the best high power Sunn, around 300w rms at 8 ohms is what I will need, be it vintage or not.I do not abuse my speakers, I probably run them around 100w rms on stage, but need that headroom for live punch on transients while getting the awesome tone! Guys have recommended these- Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead!, Coliseum 880, the NEW 1200S (which I tried at a store and it was GREAT), and the new 300T. Any info/comparisons/sonic descriptions/advice would be appreciated. Keep in mind Im looking for mondo headroom and volume, tone (I tend to like the tone of vintage heads but none yet have had enough headroom live), and reliability.
: : Thanks very much in advance..

: SO, Guys, are we concluding that out of the aforementioned amps( coliseum bass, Coliseum 880,
: new 1200s and the new 300T that the 300T is the winner?

IMHO, and that's all it is, my opinion, the 300T is the winner. Also in the "just my opinion" category, the 2000S will sonically destroy most of the other amps on your list.

Bass-ically Yours,
Rich Briere