Author Topic: Sunn Solarus Transformer Rewire.....  (Read 5575 times)

Offline bradberry00

Sunn Solarus Transformer Rewire.....
« on: May 10, 2010, 04:46:33 pm »
I want to change the Impedance of a Sunn Solarus. It is now 8 ohm main speaker 4 ohm external. I want 16 ohm and 8 ohm...

do i just change it so the 16 ohm tap is wired where the 8 ohm taps currently is and the 8 ohm goes to where the 4 ohm currently is and 4 ohm moved to where the 16 ohm currently is?

could is be that easy?

Im going to throw this question up in the DIY Section also!

thanks much!
david

Offline django7866

• gatedoom
Re: Sunn Solarus Transformer Rewire.....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 05:30:49 pm »
Personally I would not do that to the amp!!!! I would think it would easier/less expansive to rewire your cabs. So if you have two cabs running a 16Ohms rewire them to 8Ohms.
Model T Reissue(sold)
74' Model T 1st Gen.
77' Model T 2nd Gen.
70's Concert Lead(sold)
70's Concert Bass(sold)
sunn Sonic II 60 watts(sold)
70's sunn 610L cab(sold)
412s cab
412 enclosure reissue
Sonic 2x10x1x18 cab

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:18:08 am »
I agree.  My friend modified my 215 with a little switch to go between 4 & 16ohms.  Works great, and was far easier. Of course, the cabinet isn't in pristine condition, so it wasn't a huge loss.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline HRobert

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:34:44 am »
I want to change the Impedance of a Sunn Solarus. It is now 8 ohm main speaker 4 ohm external. I want 16 ohm and 8 ohm...

do i just change it so the 16 ohm tap is wired where the 8 ohm taps currently is and the 8 ohm goes to where the 4 ohm currently is and 4 ohm moved to where the 16 ohm currently is?

could is be that easy?

thanks much!
david

You could always build a "series box" which takes two cabs and puts them in series on one amp output.

Rob
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:42:52 pm by HRobert »

Online Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:40:12 pm »

could is be that easy?

thanks much!
david

Yes, David, it could be that easy, and it is.
Isaac

Offline thecraig

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:37:13 pm »
this might b an even easier solution. it has made my life way easy. i can now use any head with any cabinet. god bless ted!!!

http://taweber.powweb.com/store/zmatch.htm

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:33:49 am »

could is be that easy?

thanks much!
david

This has been covered numerous times on this site. Old Sunns came from the factory wired either 8 & 4 ohms, or 16 & 8 ohm with the jacks defaulting to the lower impedance tap in parallel when used together.
It’s a simple switch, completely reversible, and IMO the correct and also most practical solution to the OP’s dilemma.
I’m not sure why all the involved wiring and additional equipment purchase responses came up.  :?

Offline shibbz

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 01:19:54 am »
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but just to be certain before I heat up my soldering iron...
My 100s is 16 and 8 ohms. I'd like 4 and 8.
So.
Yellow(16) to where the orange(8) is
orange to where the brown(4) is
brown to where the yellow was
Correct?
Does the thinner yellow wire stay where it is in the picture?
(note this picture is before any modification.)

Also, I know caps carry lethal voltages, as long as I steer clear of those is there much danger in doing this?
And so when it's done, the main output will be 4 ohms. What will the extension jack be? Are these jacks wired in parallel or a series?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:22:35 am by shibbz »

Offline play4zero

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:17 am »

could is be that easy?

thanks much!
david

This has been covered numerous times on this site. Old Sunns came from the factory wired either 8 & 4 ohms, or 16 & 8 ohm with the jacks defaulting to the lower impedance tap in parallel when used together.
It’s a simple switch, completely reversible, and IMO the correct and also most practical solution to the OP’s dilemma.
I’m not sure why all the involved wiring and additional equipment purchase responses came up.  :?

I had asked a similar question regarding my 200s wanting to go in the opposite direction and someone sent a link to the schematic, or a picture of the diagram showing hoe and now I can't find it.  I don't seem to be good at searching and I'm betting that every question has been answered about 10 times on this site.

Offline kupervaser

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 03:22:14 am »
I am wondering, if only 2 of the OT taps are used, where is the 3d one (unused tap) soldered to? Ground?

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 09:20:46 am »
No, that would represent a short. Look at this thread: http://sunnforum.ampage.org/index.php/topic,4844.msg18880.html#msg18880

Offline BassHog

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 12:41:34 pm »
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but just to be certain before I heat up my soldering iron...
My 100s is 16 and 8 ohms. I'd like 4 and 8.
So.
Yellow(16) to where the orange(8) is
orange to where the brown(4) is
brown to where the yellow was
Correct?
Does the thinner yellow wire stay where it is in the picture?
(note this picture is before any modification.)

Also, I know caps carry lethal voltages, as long as I steer clear of those is there much danger in doing this?
And so when it's done, the main output will be 4 ohms. What will the extension jack be? Are these jacks wired in parallel or a series?

This does not sound correct. If you want 8 and 4 then you need to move BOTH yellow wires to where the brown wire is. Then move the orange wire to where the yellow ones were. Then move the brown wire to where the orange one was.

The other smaller yellow wire is the negative feedback and to remain stock that needs to stay connected to the 16 ohm tap.
67 Sunn Solarus
70 Sunn Sceptre
71 Sunn 350B