Author Topic: what is the tremolo on my 350L supposed to sound like?  (Read 5001 times)

Offline foxfire

what is the tremolo on my 350L supposed to sound like?
« on: March 05, 2010, 08:50:53 pm »
i just got the amp today (and after dealing with the power resistor that smoked out in the first minute of turning the amp on) and the trem works but it's kind of weak and sweep on the pot is kind of weird. i just put an order in at Mouser figuring i'd start with replacing the electrolytic caps...   

Offline pickinatit

Re: what is the tremolo on my 350L supposed to sound like?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 03:12:01 am »
How can you describe in an e-mail how tremelo is supposed to sound? :?
OK,  how about this.  Ever lightly pat your hand over a baby's mouth while it's crying or making some noise so you get a  wah-wah-wah kind of effect?    Now adust the speed of the "patting".
(Shorter time intervals between wah-wah-wah's  or longer time intervals between wah-wah-wah's.)
How's that? :-D

Offline foxfire

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 05:57:57 am »
How can you describe in an e-mail how tremelo is supposed to sound? :?
OK,  how about this.  Ever lightly pat your hand over a baby's mouth while it's crying or making some noise so you get a  wah-wah-wah kind of effect?    Now adust the speed of the "patting".
(Shorter time intervals between wah-wah-wah's  or longer time intervals between wah-wah-wah's.)
How's that? :-D

well i'm no closer to knowing what the tremolo of my amp is supposed to sound like, but i do however know that you're a bit of a smart ass...

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 06:40:58 am »
well i'm no closer to knowing what the tremolo of my amp is supposed to sound like, but i do however know that you're a bit of a smart ass...

Well, I can't deny that, Ha Ha....but that's why the "GRIN"  at the end of my post!!
No antagonism or mean spiritedness intended.  Peace.

Michael

Offline foxfire

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 07:32:51 am »

Well, I can't deny that, Ha Ha....but that's why the "GRIN"  at the end of my post!!
No antagonism or mean spiritedness intended.  Peace.

Michael

how do you think i spotted the smart ass'dness of your reply? takes one to...

anyway, on my amp with the depth maxed i can really only here the effect when the rate is between lets say 4 or 5 through 8 or 9. as one might expect it's stronger when i have a dirt box in front of the amp boosting the input. the trem itself is relatively smooth and gets a little chop to it at higher speeds. if this is kind of how they always sounded i won't worry about it, but i haven't been able to find any good reviews of the trem in these amps so i'm kind of curious?

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 02:19:40 pm »
I think what he was trying to get at was maybe a recording or a better example(possibly a video that sounds similar to what you're hearing) not in text form would get better answers.  It's hard to say if its sounding correctly without actually hearing it.  Much harder to say if its sounding correctly by saying "My trem sounds like 'said onomatopoeia'."

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:55:06 pm »
There are differences between the 190L/350L and the earlier 100S/Solarus et al tremolos.

See this thread: http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,4847.0.html

More good info: http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,4772.0.html

Offline foxfire

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 07:18:17 am »
i don't really have a way to record anything but i'll see what i can do...i was just hoping someone with an amp similar amp would be able to compare my description of my trem to there trem. i'm mainly curious about the limited range/sweep of the controls and how subtle/strong people would rate their trem?   

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 02:55:34 pm »
Here's a thread from Ampage that has some technical details that might come in handy if you take the amp to a tech.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t8017/

Offline foxfire

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 06:41:45 pm »
thanks for the links...i think i'm just gonna replace all the electrolytic caps in the trem circuit and check the resistors/voltages and leave it at that. the trem does work so i can't imagine the bug is dead and the pots are quiet/smooth so i've got that going for me...