Author Topic: Am I using my speaker ohm taps right?  (Read 2495 times)

Offline PBman

Am I using my speaker ohm taps right?
« on: March 02, 2010, 06:40:10 pm »
The amp came to me 16/8 and changed it to 8/4. If I start with an 8 ohm cab and  I want to use another 8 ohm cab , do I:

A) Plug cab A in the 8 ohm jack and plug cab B into the 4 ohm jack

OR

B) series connection- cab to cab-  plug A into B then plug into the 4 ohm jack

I've been using A for years

Thanks

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Am I using my speaker ohm taps right?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 06:52:18 pm »
Nothing has changed; Option "A" is still correct.

This has been covered many times in many posts on this forum, but...
The output jacks are wired to two taps on your OT. In the case of yours being wired to the 8 and 4 ohm taps, if a single cab is plugged into either one by itself, the tap wired to that individual jack will see the load. You can plug a 4 ohm load into the 4 ohm jack OR an 8 ohm load into the 8 ohm jack, and yes, you would plug a single 4 ohm cab into the 4 ohm jack and nothing else could be used.
If you plug into both jacks, they will default to the lower impedance (in your example 4 ohm) tap in parallel.
So... regardless of the impedance(s) of your loads, if you use both jacks the 8 ohm will disconnect and only the 4 ohm tap will be connected; If you plug in two 8 ohm cabs, one into each jack, they will show a paralleled 4 ohm load to the 4 ohm tap.
If you plug an 8 and a 4 ohm cab, one into each jack you will be showing a 2.67 ohm load to the 4 ohm tap, which may or may not be an issue to your amp's health as per the posts above.
Here's what undoubtedly would be an issue in the "mismatch" scenario; two thirds of your amp's power would be going to the 4 ohm cabinet. In the case of a 2000S, about 100 watts to one and 50 watts to the other, which IMO is not the most effective use of a pair of 215 cabs.

Offline PBman

Re: Am I using my speaker ohm taps right?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 06:58:30 pm »
Thanks for the info plus after taking off the back , the  drivers were actually E's. Still sounds great