Author Topic: Tubes  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Kevin DeLay

Tubes
« on: December 04, 1999, 11:28:00 pm »
Which tubes can be used to replace a quartet of 7027a tubes? I've heard that I could use 6L6's but I don't know if it'll blow the fuse in my amp. What should I do? And does my amp need to be rebiased? I'm kinda novice to tube amps so any info is appreciated. Thanx

Offline Ryan Phelps

Tubes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 1999, 11:44:00 pm »
: Which tubes can be used to replace a quartet of 7027a tubes? I've heard that I could use 6L6's but I don't know if it'll blow the fuse in my amp. What should I do? And does my amp need to be rebiased? I'm kinda novice to tube amps so any info is appreciated. Thanx

Offline Ryan Phelps

Tubes
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 1999, 11:55:00 pm »
: Which tubes can be used to replace a quartet of 7027a tubes? I've heard that I could use 6L6's but I don't know if it'll blow the fuse in my amp. What should I do? And does my amp need to be rebiased? I'm kinda novice to tube amps so any info is appreciated. Thanx

You can often modify the circuit in an amp that uses 7027A's to accomodate other tubes, typically EL34's and 6550's. I suspect you are talking about an Ampeg amp? A problem that can arise is impedence mis-match between the new tubes and the output transformer causing the amp to be very unstable. 7027's are now made by Tesla and are carried by New Sensor ($20 each, call 1 800 633-5477). And you won't need to modify your existing circuit! Good Luck!
Ryan

Offline Eric

Tubes
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 1999, 06:21:00 am »
: Which tubes can be used to replace a quartet of 7027a tubes? I've heard that I could use 6L6's but I don't know if it'll blow the fuse in my amp.

Click on the link below. "Uncle" Ned wouldn't steer you wrong.