Author Topic: Correct me if I'm wrong  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Kevin DeLay

Correct me if I'm wrong
« on: December 01, 1999, 11:05:00 am »
But were the Concert Bass and Concert Lead amps built on the same chassis? I see striking simularities.

Offline Don T.

Correct me if I'm wrong
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 1999, 12:27:00 pm »

: But were the Concert Bass and Concert Lead amps built on the same chassis? I see striking simularities.

Hello;
 Yes - the two amps were built on the same chassis. Only the pre-amp was different. This is true of a lot of products. Manufacturers want to get the most milage out of the R&D costs.
                   Don

Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline Joe

Correct me if I'm wrong
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 1999, 12:05:00 pm »
:   Yes - the two amps were built on the same chassis. Only the pre-amp was different. This is true of a lot of products. Manufacturers want to get the most milage out of the R&D costs.
:                     Don

The preamp is not different - the one with the distort control, is the same circuit in both amps.  The only real difference in circuits, is that the bass is missing the "reverb" channel of the lead, and only one resistor in the power supply is changed to a slightly higher value to compensate for the lower current draw (without the additional preamp).

A further interesting point, the tone controls have the same identical circuit arrangement and values as the 2000s.

A lot of mileage here!!

Offline Don T.

Correct me if I'm wrong
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 1999, 12:23:00 pm »

: :   Yes - the two amps were built on the same chassis. Only the pre-amp was different. This is true of a lot of products. Manufacturers want to get the most milage out of the R&D costs.
: :                     Don

: The preamp is not different - the one with the distort control, is the same circuit in both amps.  The only real difference in circuits, is that the bass is missing the "reverb" channel of the lead, and only one resistor in the power supply is changed to a slightly higher value to compensate for the lower current draw (without the additional preamp).

: A further interesting point, the tone controls have the same identical circuit arrangement and values as the 2000s.

: A lot of mileage here!!

Hello:
 In my experience (some 20 years ago) the bass and guitar rigs had different frequency centers for the tone controls. You are right though they try to use everything they can including sheetmetal, silkscreens (tape over the reverb part when screening), cabinets and speakers. I had so much fun going down into production and mix & matching components to customize my equipment. Virtually none of my live gear is "stock" all have been modified for more power, better cooling, more stable bias, lower noise, more rugged, and just better performance.
                  Don T.

Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline Joe

Correct me if I'm wrong
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 1999, 01:54:00 pm »
: I had so much fun going down into production and mix & matching components to customize my equipment. Virtually none of my live gear is "stock" all have been modified for more power, better cooling, more stable bias, lower noise, more rugged, and just better performance.
:                    Don T.

Could you perhaps give us a few tips?  I'm in the process of rebuilding the power supply in my Concert Lead, and would sure like to reduce the hiss and general noise level while I'm at it.

Offline Conrad Sundholm

Correct me if I'm wrong
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 1999, 01:35:00 am »
: But were the Concert Bass and Concert Lead amps built on the same chassis? I see striking simularities.

Kevin:
This is very possible.  If there were amps utilizing the same power supply and tube compliments, a common chassis with extra holes punched were designed to accomodate different models.  This increased the quantities produced and reduced costs.

Conrad Sundholm