Author Topic: Beta Lead and Concert Lead repair questions  (Read 3348 times)

Offline colonizeyourmind

Beta Lead and Concert Lead repair questions
« on: July 10, 2010, 11:40:18 am »
i recently bought a beta lead and a concert lead off of craigslist and the guy said they both needed new output transistors.  in the description it said that the amps powered on but neither put out a distorted signal.  i bought both for 270 (with shipping to new york from chicago), will these repairs end up costing a lot or could i possibly make off with 2 cheap amps.

Offline colonizeyourmind

Re: Beta Lead and Concert Lead repair questions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 04:55:31 pm »
any advice for a newbie?

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:09:39 pm »
By distorted signal, you mean the amps distortion channels don't work, or they only put out a nasty buzzing distorted sound when played?
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline kingnimrod

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 06:38:55 pm »
If it's just replacing the output transistors it won't cost too much and is an easy fix if you know what you're doing.

Offline george

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 12:57:32 pm »
It just needs new output transistors is like saying you're 40 year old car will just need a new set of tires and it will be all good. The Beta and Concert series can have unique "problems" that just replacing the output transistors will not solve. It's all about the cost of time - if you can do this yourself without causing more damage to the amp or yourself it may be a good deal. If you take these amps in to most "techs" who "only work on tube amps - man" I think you may be looking at more money than you think you were going to spend.