Author Topic: Speaker Jack/cup replacement  (Read 4470 times)

Offline 2000s a space odyssey

Speaker Jack/cup replacement
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:09:59 am »
I own a Sunn Sonic 1-40 with the original single 15" speaker cabinet.  The plastic speaker jack/cup is broken on the cabinet.  Anybody have or know where to get an exact replacement.  I liked not to have to cut the hole for something thats not a drop in replacement.

Offline HRobert

Re: Speaker Jack/cup replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 02:59:35 pm »
I've looked and looked and have not been able to find an OEM replacement.  You might contact Conrad and ask him if he know of any.  For my speaker project I bought some chrome jack cups from Mojo Musical Supply.  The come in pairs...however, because of the thickness of the cabinet back ( 3/4" ) I had to counter sink a hole on the inside so that the jacks would fit back to back.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:21:37 pm by HRobert »

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 11:46:08 am »
Thanks I'll check them out.  I might find something in stewmac haven't looked there yet.

Offline Jeff Troy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 01:06:30 pm »
Hi,

I tried to get a couple of dozen sunn-style jack cups when I built my monitors, but could not find them anywhere. Conrad said he was working on something, but did not have any as of a few weeks ago.

The original sunn cups are metal, not plastic, and they are sized to sandwich a 3/4-inch surface with no modification. The 412SR cabinets have a 1/2-inch back, and sunn used a 1/4-inch plywood spacer to take up the slack.

Fender has chrome cups, but I believe they are not quite as deep as the sunn parts.

My techie had some single-piece cups, approximately 2 inches in diameter, so I used those for my monitors, which are not original anyway. These cups attach to the face of the surface with three pan head screws, and the sunn hole can be beveled with a rasp or knife so the cup recess will fit inside.

Here's what I used:

Warmest...
759 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster PA 17602
C: 717-917-3670
www.bandmix.com/jefftroy
www.jefftroy.com (under construction)

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 11:04:29 pm »
I ask Conrad what he used on a 2000S cab he built and he said he got them from a some 70's PA speakers that were scrapped. The earliest Smiley face Sunns used a 2 inch silver colored sliding door pull cup that you can still find something similar at Home Depot. They're not as strong as the ones that Sunn used. The late 60s to mid 70s cabs used a black plastic door pull like part that fit into a 1 inch hole. Any sideways pull on the speaker cable will break them.

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 07:49:50 am »
I think thats what happened to this one.  Yes its the plastic one and its original.  I've owned many Sunn amplifiers and I've ran across quite a few differences between models.  Even ones with the same date of year and only days apart.  Nothing drastic mostly cosmetic.  I think Sunn used what they had on hand at the time to get the orders filled and shipped.