Author Topic: Sunn Bass Equipment Question  (Read 3099 times)

Offline JC1953

Sunn Bass Equipment Question
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:03:09 am »
Hi everyone!  I am hoping that someone can help me regarding some Sunn Bass equipment.  I have my late husband's Sunn Concert Bass head, serial #031006, Base Cabinet 215S, serial #C013418 (with vinyl cover), Sunn foot switch, and the original warranty card for equipment.  I am looking for info on age and value, as I will be selling this equipment.  I appreciate any assistance.  Thanks!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn Bass Equipment Question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 04:54:18 am »
Our usual response is that it's worth whatever someone will pay for it, but I understand that you are in a somewhat different position than the usual person asking.

First thing is that the serial numbers don't correlate well with manufacture date, so are of little use in determining age. So, what color is the face plate of the Concert Bass amp? Is it black and silver, or all black? The black and silver is older than the black face. I remember the original black and silver in 1974, but I don't know for sure if that was the first year or not. I'm sure that someone else can tell you what the first year of the black face was.

The going rate can change significantly over time. The best way I know of to determine what Sunns are going for at any given time is to go onto ebay and see what they've sold for recently. Not the asking price, but the selling price. the down side of this is that, if no one has sold one recently, you won't find a recent price.

Speculation: I have seen Concert Bass amps go for under $100 to over $200. Condition matters, as does demand. Several years ago, I paid $400 for a 200S cabinet, which is an older and more desirable 2x15 cabinet than the 215S. I'd say that you're unlikely to get that much for your 215S, or, really anywhere near that much. I hope I'm wrong. Last I looked, which was, admittedly some time ago, foot switches went from $35 to $50, which is why I don't have one.

A quick glance at ebay, and I see a silver face Concert Bass priced at $250 did not sell. Likewise, a black face did not sell at $300, so you can reasonably expect to get less than those prices, unless your items are in extremely good condition *and* you find a person willing to pay a premium for that. Good luck.
Isaac

Offline JC1953

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 06:18:29 am »
Thank you for the information.  I will attempt to get some photo's.  I am sorting through anvil cases, basses, drums, amps, parts, and do not mind saying that it is a bit overwhelming on what exactly to do with everything.  Again, thank you.

Offline MikeL

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:04:21 am »
Another "ballpark" price indicator is the Guitar Center website; they list used gear from their stores across the country. Just type "Sunn" in the search box and you'll see what they have, usually with photos, at any given time. Keep in mind that location/demand determines what they're asking for a particular bit of equipment in a particular store. Just recently, they had 3 or 4 examples of the original issue of the Concert Bass head(silver and black "face", outer case that covers the top and sides of the amp chassis, but not the bottom)and they all had different prices, but within a fairly close range. Does the amp rig come with road cases? That's definitely an added value.

Offline rot gut

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 11:40:22 am »
The most a concert bass head will go for is close to $400.

Offline JC1953

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:36:48 pm »
Thank you everyone for your info.  I located the warranty card and states that all was purchased on 7-11-73. 

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 01:36:12 am »
What area of the country are you located in? Depending on where you are, someone more knowledgeable might be able to help you sort through some of it and sell it with the appropriate prices? Of course it would have to be someone trustworthy too, which is why depending on wher eyou are, some of us could recommend someone that we can vouch for.

Greg

Offline george

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:26:34 pm »
Sorry for your loss. When you sell this equipment make sure you mention that the amplifier and speaker cabinet are "one owner" usage. It sounds like both pieces are in very good condition - if possible have a reputable shop/tech check things out. Someone on this board can probably find you a resource in your area. If you need any help wordsmithing and ad for this equipment there are many here who could help.