Author Topic: Sunn Beta Lead Combo  (Read 2617 times)

Offline GMFx

Sunn Beta Lead Combo
« on: November 04, 2011, 05:33:43 pm »
I can get a hold of this as a combo for really cheap - about 160$. the upper channel doesn´t work but the thing looks like it is in crazy good condition.
Does anybody have experience with repairs on these or knows someone in germany who´s experienced with that? I´m afraid reconditioning the whole thing might be a litte too much to handle.

any advice on what I should look for when checking it out?

also - I´m a sunn amp noob so I´ve got a general question:

What´s the deal with having two identical channels that can be run parallel? Does it sum the guitars if you have two different guitars or does each channel only use one speaker and you can only use both if you run the channels parallel ? I also thought the speaker construction was to alter the sonic output in a unique way, but now I´m not so sure if it´s just to have better segregation between both speakers.
Will I be able to use this amp to its full sonic abilities with just one working channel - Will one channel power both speakers?

what are the cut backs with one channel not working?

Offline Rex B

Re: Sunn Beta Lead Combo
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:05:22 pm »
One of the unique sounds you can get with both channels in parallel is to set one up clean ie gain low and volume high, and the other overdriven ie gain up, volume down. Adjust the channel volumes to give you similar loudness. When you play, you will get the attack and brilliance of the clean channel, followed by the sustain of the overdrive channel. It's a cool sound.
Engineer Sunn 1977-1983, Fender 1984-1990
Model T Red Knob
200S Cabinet JBL D140Fs
Sunn SB 300 (Proto Coliseum 300)

Offline Rex B

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 11:08:27 pm »
The amp does not run one speaker for each channel, it only has one power amp, with two preamps.
Engineer Sunn 1977-1983, Fender 1984-1990
Model T Red Knob
200S Cabinet JBL D140Fs
Sunn SB 300 (Proto Coliseum 300)

Offline GMFx

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 05:31:41 pm »
I already bought the amp and had the other channel fixed. I´m loving it:)