Author Topic: Speaker Outputs on the SUNN 2000S  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Howie V

Speaker Outputs on the SUNN 2000S
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:00:09 pm »
Decided to start a second post for this rather easy question so it won't get confused with the speaker recommendations.

Just got a 2000S and the speaker jacks on the back are labeled:  8 Ohm Speaker output and 4 ohm EXTENSION speaker output.

I have it connected right now to a 4 ohm cab, so the only connection to the head is in the 4 ohm output jack.  Is that fine?

I guess what I'm asking is is the 8 ohm jack always independently 8 ohms and the 4 ohm jack always independently 4 ohms and can be used simultaneously?

So if I wanted to use two cabs with this head.  I should plug one 8 ohm cab into that output and one 4 ohm cab into its output?  Or use the 8 ohm output and daisy chain it with two 4 ohm cabs?

Thanks for any help,
Howie

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
Re: Speaker Outputs on the SUNN 2000S
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 05:19:58 pm »

Offline Howie V

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 06:13:21 am »
Thank you very much, that perfectly answered my question.  Basically what I wanted to be certain of is that if I plug only into the 4 ohm output that it is going to switch to 4 ohms.  The label for "extension" speaker had me worried thinking you should only use that output if you have something plugged into the 8ohm one as well.

To avoid confusion for myself I'll probably just follow suit with how I run my guitar gear and just go with getting together two 8 ohm bass cabs (can't imagine needing more than 2 for quite a while) and just daisy chain them off of the 4 ohm output.

Cheers

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:30:32 am »
If you use two 8 ohm speaker cabs, you don't need to daisy chain them. You can just plug one into each output jack.

The Sunn 2000S came wired two ways;
Either with a 16 ohm "Speaker" jack and an 8 ohm "Ext Speaker" jack or with an 8 ohm "Speaker" jack and a 4 ohm "Ext Speaker" jack.

It seems you have the 8 and 4 ohm wiring, but you might want to check it as all Sunns from that era have 4, 8 , and 16 ohm taps on the output transformers and it's simple and not uncommon for somebody to have switched them in the last 40 years.

Let's assume you have a properly wired 8 and 4 ohm amp.
If you use either jack by themselves they are as marked, when you use both jacks at the same time they default in parallel to the 4 ohm tap.

So, you can use two 8 ohm speaker loads using both jacks simultaneously, or one 4 ohm speaker load to the 4 ohm jack, or one 8 ohm load to the 8 ohm jack.

Now, a small rant.

Everyone here tries to be as helpful as they can, we all share a common interest and we keep it civil and friendly.

BUT: All of this information has been covered ad nauseum on this forum. Both loudthud and now myself have answered your question specifically, and over the years that same question has been answered over and over and over and over and over; I think I've probably answered it personally a dozen or more times.
It gets very tedious.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!

Opinion questions are different, but these simple tech topics get asked repeatedly and the only proper answers aren't an "opinion" or open to discussion; there are the way it is, period.

And... most of them have been covered over and over and over etc., and it often seems like new posters don't want to put in any effort beyond throwing it out there and expecting someone else to do their legwork for them.
It gets frustrating.

So... Sorry for the rant; it's nothing personal, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your 2000S!
Just please do a quick search before asking basic questions, just like on any enthusiast forum.

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 09:20:04 am »
Here's a link to another thread with info and pics of the transformer wires: http://sunnforum.ampage.org/index.php/topic,4844.0.html

Offline Howie V

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:19:07 pm »
No worries EdBass, no personal offense taken.

I'm well aware of the general forum etiquette, definitely caught me in a moment of laziness.

Thanks for the welcome!

And yeah, good idea to take it apart and make sure that wiring wasn't changed over.  I always like to see the insides of these things anyway! =)

Cheers