Author Topic: Sunn 200s shuts off after stand by is switched up  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Jacobo

Sunn 200s shuts off after stand by is switched up
« on: August 03, 2013, 02:59:26 pm »
Need some help
My sunn 200s turns off when I switch stand by on and makes no noise when stand by is off.
The tube light up but don't get very hot. What are some issues it could be.
Thanks
Respect

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
Re: Sunn 200s shuts off after stand by is switched up
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 04:45:28 pm »
What do you mean "turns off"? Does the power switch magically move to the down position? Does the fuse blow? Does the circuit breaker trip? Does nothing actually happen?

Has the amp been serviced in the last decade? If not, take it to a tube amp technician and expect to pay for new tubes and a cap job. Could be north of $300.

Offline Jacobo

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:30:47 pm »
the fuse doesn't blow i think there is a circut breaker instead of a fuse. it seems like all it does is shut off. here is a video of what happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6bXkIbRVYo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:08:26 pm »
I heard a click when the power went off. Is that the circuit breaker cutting out? Turn the power switch off, then back on, will the amp turn back on, or do you have to reset the circuit breaker?
Isaac

Offline Jacobo

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 07:20:52 pm »
i have to reset it and wait about a minute or so.

Offline Jacobo

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:21:52 pm »
idk tho it seems like the noise is localized on the PT

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 08:16:05 pm »
good news could just be a bad breaker, bad news probably not the breaker i had a 200s that done similar, my problem was 2 wires that had niks in the coating where shorting out on the metal chassis, if you dont know anything about working on amps please take the amp to a tech(contains lethal voltage inside the amp that can kill you)  if you have worked on amps before then open the chassis and take a look see if you see any wires touching and check for cracks and niks in the coating, the 2 wires on mine that shorted out where right where they went thru the hole in chassis from tranny.

hope this helps
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 09:51:23 pm »
Okay, we're making progress. As you have to reset the circuit breaker, we know that the amp is drawing too much current, and that the current sink is downstream from the standby switch. The fact that you didn't suss this out on your own indicates that you are not an amp technician, and should seek out help. If you know of a competent technician, take the amp to him. Alternatively, where are you? I wouldn't mind looking into your problem, but I doubt that you are in western Oregon. My first guess is that the filter cap(s) are leaking, drawing excess current and causing the breaker to trip.
Isaac

Offline Jacobo

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:08:35 pm »
Hey thanks for all the replies I have an update that might cause more confusion.
Last night I swapped the cap from a sunn 2000s I had lying around. This caused the tubes to actually light up when I tested with tubes. However I have the same shut off problem. Before I posted I had swapped new electrolyics into the amp where leaky caps where. I got exact replacements. Idk if if it's the breaker cuz it blows fuses when I wire a fuse to it. I'm gonna check for shorts when I get home

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 06:39:41 pm »
Sounds to me as though you have a low impedance path to ground, maybe a direct short. Find where the current goes to ground, and that should solve your problem.
Isaac