Author Topic: about 150,000,000 questions to the Sunn  (Read 2215 times)

Offline capraCopia

about 150,000,000 questions to the Sunn
« on: January 17, 2003, 10:20:49 pm »
Hello, I may have a few less questions than that, but as the Earth's eliptical orbit differs throughout the year, one can never be sure of exact distance or exact abundance of inquiries....

Anyway....
First of all I'd like to request everyone's opinions and recommendations:  I will soon be coming into the possession of a Sunn Beta Lead or Coliseum 880 or both.  I play both bass and guitar, and need that disgusting distortion for guitar that I KNOW is supplied by a Beta Lead, as I've played through one recently.  I also need the power of something like the Coliseum 880, as I will be playing bass through this fantasy Sunn mountain, and need VOLUME.  I don't know if the 880 distortion matches that of the Beta, as I haven't used one, but I also loved that Beta reverb, and I know the 880 is not equipped.  So, first set of question are: Would it be a good idea to combine these two, with the Beta as the preamp and the 880 for power?  

Would they be friendly with one another?

Part 2:

Right now I have a Hartke 3500 Bass Head which is 350 watts at 8 ohms.  I also have the matching Hartke 4x10 cabinet, and an SWR Goliath Jr. III 2x10 cabinet.  I plan to sell these pieces, as I have been summoned by equipment of days long passed.  What would be a suitable substitute as far as cabinets go?  

If I could kind of replicate this set up (a 2x10 for practice combined with a 4x10 for performance) or something like it involving a smaller cab for practice and something bigger to combine for a live setup, this would be excellent.  Keep in mind that this will be for bass or guitar, so I need something that will satisfy both, but consolidate as much as possible.  What kind of cabs would you all recommend (brand, size, etc)?  I assume I will need 4 ohm cabs, as this is what these amps are rated at.

So to summarize:

Will the Beta Lead and Coliseum 880 work well together?

What kind of speaker setups should I look for to satisfy the needs of these amps for bass and guitar?

WHERE do you all know of to get this stuff, besides Ebay?

AND FINALLY:  Who wants to buy or trade for my Hartke 3500, Hartke 4x10, SWR 2x10, and Warwick 5-string Thumb Bass??????????

Thank you for reading a topic so intimidating.  Your answer will save a musical soul that is frozen in silence as result of present equipment that does not share my vision.  Goodnight.

Offline RichBriere

• http://www.richbriere.com
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 11:02:50 am »
Cap...welcome aboard and it's nice to see that you've come to your senses and gone back into time to get the sound that your head hears.

Having said that.........I'm gonna' digest some of this before posting my thoughts. Back Soon....... :D  and Welcome!

Bass-ically Yours,
Rich Briere

www.richbriere.com
MTD & Sunn: They're addictive!  :^>)

Offline capraCopia

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 11:48:13 am »
Rich - glad to see you replying here, you seem to have a cornucO)))pia of Sunn knowledge, and I've always enjoyed your solutions for many topics posted on this board.  To you and everyone else, two follow-up/forgotten questions:

1. Is the Beta Lead and Coliseum 880 a good combination, or is there a better partnership that you can recommend (considering I DEFINITELY want that Beta Lead Distortion tone and reverb)?

2. How do these purchase prices sound before I go through with it?
$150 + shipping for Beta Lead
$299 w/ shipping included for the Coliseum 880

Thank you once again.

Offline coliseumboy

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2003, 06:47:46 pm »
hey, i own a Coliseum 880 and it is the best bass amp i have ever played through. i would say go for the 880 for bass. nice deal too for the beta.

Joel

Offline Rocketboy

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 02:31:06 am »
Yeah - good deals on those two pieces, especially if they still perform to spec.  I dunno about trying to use the same equipment lash-up for both bass AND guitar.  Some of the '70's high-end Brit stuff could go both ways, like Hiwatt and Orange, but you still had to change the control settings from one instrument to the other.

Since guitar requires so much less (as compared to bass) in the way of cabinet size and output power, you might consider a quality 1 X 12 cab for guitar and just use that with the Beta head.  A 4 X 10 is great for bass, but there is something really nice about adding a 1 X 15 as well.  I, and about everybody as well I'm sure, has these same thoughts with regard to the conflicting requirements of portability/affordability versus sonic nirvanah.  Try looking up Avatar Speakers on the web.  They sell well-made cabinets at very good prices.  At least you could test your theory without breaking the bank!

Since the patch points exist, and both amps are from the same manufacturer, I would be surprised if you couldn't use the preamp from one to drive the final amp of the other.  But that's just an educated guess on my part.  Good luck to you.  Ric
Heads up, everybody!