Author Topic: How reliable is Fender's Model T....Ive never owned one  (Read 2577 times)

Offline powertripper

How reliable is Fender's Model T....Ive never owned one
« on: October 28, 2002, 10:39:57 pm »
Please help, Ive been thinking of buying a new Fender Sunn Model T but the problem is I dont know much about them, only that they sound good.
Are they reliable? can I get parts? warranty now that they no longer exist under Fender?..please help.

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2002, 10:09:27 pm »
its garbage

its great sounding for a contemporary amp.dirty as hell and the low end is monstrous

but it has severe feed back issues.. parts are expensive and finding licenced people who knwo what teh hell they are doing is kinda hard. ive been through alot wiht mine.it jsut practicaly exploded..but im a moron.

it would be great if you are doing studio work but live stuff is iffy at
BEST.

synopsis

great for low volume high gain riffage.. bad for preformances.

Offline RichBriere

• http://www.richbriere.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2002, 05:01:57 pm »
With all due respect, I'd like to humbly disagree. The breakdown rate on the FMIC Sunn stuff was, actually, quite low. If I had a wad of $$$$ I'd be visiting the music stores who still have FMIC Sunn stuff and I'd be beating them senseless for the best deals that I could get. The stuff sounds great, any competent repair guy can give it TLC when it needs attention.......and it sounds great. All of this is My Humble Opinion of course..........but I did have access to the numbers. :lol:

Bass-ically Yours,
RB
MTD & Sunn: They're addictive!  :^>)

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2002, 10:19:34 pm »
what about the feed back?

its atroucious

Offline sunnamps

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2002, 12:41:18 am »
feedback from the amp that is probally from your guitar or bass.
Think.
i agree you are a moron.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2002, 10:08:19 pm »
it does it with any guiar

i dont disagree that i am a moron

but this amp is over rated

Offline RichBriere

• http://www.richbriere.com
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2002, 05:46:19 pm »
Yo Guest.........#1, I DON'T think that you're a moron.  :lol:  The Model T was built for a single purpose.......to "Seek and Destroy". What kind of a guitar did you use to check one out? Did it have humbuckers on it.......or single coil pickups. IMHO, that amp doesn't enjoy working with single coils. It likes humbucking pickups.

As far as feedback goes, the amp "setup" will have much to do with how the amp sounds, obviously. Something that you might not be AS aware of, so does the cable that you're using. Make sure that your cables are the right gauge and type and you'll see some immediate differences in the sound of your amp. Do you OWN a Model T.......or did you just jump on and ride one once.......and get thrown for a loop because the amp was out-of-control?  :D

Bass-ically Yours,
RB
MTD & Sunn: They're addictive!  :^>)

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2003, 12:11:52 am »
oh no i have one
i have the one with the little green lights on in back that scare me into a little ball.

it's got humbuckers. they are old

i am told that pickups can
"microphone" after a while when the parafin wax that they are settled in disapates over the years.. i dunno

i just want my amp to work

ive come to like terms with the feedback now i just make lots and lots of noise.

and mr. mod deleted my sludge/ drone sunn references?? whats up with that. so they arent the who...they still are teh ones who got me into sunn amps, and many others.

Offline hipfan

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2003, 09:48:16 am »
Another possibility is that you have a microphonic pre-amp tube.  Take a chopstick or a drumstick and LIGHTLY tap each pre-amp tube (cover removed) with the volume of the amp low.  If you get a distinct thumping or ringing sound with any of the tubes you tap, you should replace that pre-amp tube with a tested, non-microphonic one.

By the way, I have a new Model T, and, while I'm still getting used to it, I think it's going to work out just fine!  Good luck!
Sharks don't attack the Irish.
It's mostly Australians.

Offline powertripper

I got the Fender "SUNN MODEL T"...........I love i
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2003, 07:58:02 pm »
After all the fussing about buying it or not...I did .....and it works fine....I mainly play ryth guitar and the clean channell cranked sounds out of this world....through an SG classic with P90's....roll down to 6 on the tone in bridge position Im still tight as a nuns gap .........ROCKNROLL!!!!!!....thanks RICH!!!!!!!

Id rather be a SUNN Guerilla, than a Marshall soldier :D

Offline hipfan

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2003, 08:12:28 am »
Good move, my friend! I've found that with proper tubes and biasing (i.e., warmer than Fender's recommended settings), both channels of the new T sound incredible for rawk.  

What cab are you using it with, btw?
Sharks don't attack the Irish.
It's mostly Australians.