Author Topic: 300T and Cab Questions  (Read 2124 times)

Brandon Nakamura

300T and Cab Questions
« on: January 15, 2003, 02:02:30 pm »
Howdy,

I have a 300T and I currently am running it through two 4x12 bassman cabs.  I love the way it sounds, but the cabs are rated at 100 Watts.  I figure eventually the speakers are going to go to hell (but they've held out for 2 years now) and wanted recommendations for speaker replacements as they go.

b

Offline RichBriere

• http://www.richbriere.com
300T and Cab Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 02:26:57 pm »
Hi Brandon...........Ratings are one of those REALLY over-RATED specs.  :D  If you've been using (not MIS-using) your rig for two years, as is, you're probably not going to need to replace anything. Cabinets can often take GLOBS of power with no ill effects. It's more often a problem when they're under-powered and pushed to distortion (the BAD kind). Asking a speaker to reproduce things that it wasn't created to do can help to fry them.

As mentioned, you LOVE the way your rig sounds. IMHO, keep on enjoying.

Bass-ically Yours,
RB

www.richbriere.com
MTD & Sunn: They're addictive!  :^>)

Brandon

300T and Cab Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 12:18:36 pm »
Rich, Thanks for the reply and helpful info.  I kind of figured that if it was OK for this long it probably wouldn't be a problem.  If I do have a speaker(s) crap out, can you or anyone suggest a good brand and model?  

Brandon - slowly learning

Offline sunnamps

300T and Cab Questions
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2003, 08:14:57 pm »
celestion or jensen ALNIco.
Celetions have a great british sound.
do not go with weber they sound horrible.
you can get these at
www.tubesandmore.com

Offline Rocketboy

300T and Cab Questions
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 02:50:14 am »
Hi Brandon - Rich is correct.  In many cases it's better ( or at least as good) when the speaker system is at or slightly below the rated amplifier output, particularly when you use a clean sound.  The 300T sounds awfully great when putting out a big meaty 100 watts.  You have all the headroom in the world, and there is no clipping.  Clipping is what fries voice coils most of the time, as it can easily cause heat buildup.  If it sounds good, I take my shoes off to you.  Eminence makes excellent replacement speakers.
Heads up, everybody!