Author Topic: 2000S, any suggestions?  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Soundmasterg

2000S, any suggestions?
« on: April 05, 2003, 02:39:57 pm »
Hello everyone. After lurking forever, I finally decided to join the site. I used to have a '69 200S head and cabinet with JBL D140s which were in PERFECT shape. I sold it to get an SVT, which I still have. But I was never satisfied with my sound after being spoiled with the Sunn previously. I just picked up an old Sunn 2000S, which looks to be from early 1969. It is missing the bass boost switch on the front. Apparently it was made before Sunn incorporated that feature. I was wondering if anyone has played these and if so, do you think I should add the bass boost or leave it without it? I'm using it for bass.

The amp has already been modded before I owned it. Someone added in some solid state rectifiers and replaced a couple caps.

Any other suggestions for mods besides the usual grounding improvements and biasing improvements as mentioned in O' Connor's TUT series?

For those of you overly concerend that I'm going to hack this thing all up, don't worry, I'm not. Just wondering whats out there.

Now I need to find a nice 2000S cabinet with the JBL's.....

Thanks,
greg

Offline rumblethump

2000S, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2003, 11:48:32 am »
I never use my bass boost.  I find the contour to be the adjustment I use the most.  The bass boost might be used for a nice dubb bass tone at lower volume (recording) , but I thought it muddied up the bass at gig volumes.  JMHO
A World without music would be WRONG!

Offline made by hand

THE 2000S HEAD
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2003, 07:26:37 pm »
CONGRATS ON GETTING ANOTHER 2000S.  THE HEAD YOU HAVE WAS MADE IN 1968....SUNN ADDED THE BASS SWITCH IN 69...YOU'LL PROBABLY NEVER HAVE TO USE THE SWITCH IF YOU HAD IT SO DON'T START ADDING ANYTHING....THE SOLID STATE RECS WILL INCREASE THE POWER OF THE AMP...YOUR AMP WAS RATED AT 120 WATTS AND BY 1970 THE POWER RATING WENT TO 150 WHEN SUNN MAGE A DESIGN CHANGE....IN THAT PART OF THE AMP....YOU HAVE A GREAT AMP THERE..ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PLUG IN AND PLAY THROUGH IT..                                                                                                                          SUNN .........IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER

Offline djg

2000S Cabinet For Sale
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2003, 08:41:54 pm »
Here is a link to where a 2000S Cabinet is for sale:

http://www.bassnw.com/usedamps.htm

Sunn 2000S Speaker Cab. (4 ohm) w/2X15" JBL K-140 speakers - $499.00

Picture:

http://www.bassnw.com/images/Used%20Amps%20and%20Cabs/Sunn%202000S%20cabinet%20with%20JBL%20K140.jpg
//------------------------------------------
//
//------------------------------------------

Offline Soundmasterg

Thanks guys and...
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2003, 10:24:41 pm »
Thanks for the link for the cabinet. I'll check it out.

Inside my 2000S, there is a signature and a date from February 1969, so i am assuming that is the guy who made it and when it was made. I think I'll forget about adding the bass boost as it sounds like it isn't worth it. There sure is a lot of room in this chassis!

What 6550's or KT88's do you guys like to use in these?
Greg

leftybassplayer

Re: 2000S, any suggestions?
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 03:43:24 am »
I love the 2000s but the 200s sounds better because the the bright and low boost are there,any goood tech can add it to the curcuit,any questions I will show how..........Martin