Author Topic: Model T + 8x10 Ampeg cab = ?  (Read 3010 times)

Offline elvis_bucklehorse

Model T + 8x10 Ampeg cab = ?
« on: May 29, 2003, 02:26:07 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm new to the Sunn clan.  Just acquired a '73 Model T with the original KT-88s in it.  I was told the tubes were rated fairly low, but much to my surprise they apparently still had enough juice in 'em to fry my 2x12 VHT cabinet in about 20 mins.  (It's true what they say about blowing speakers--they really did sound incredibly sweet just before they bit the dust...)

Anyway, now I need a cabinet.  This is a question that's probably been asked about a million times but the Search feature is a bit too unwieldy to give me the answer I'm looking for.  Can anyone out there recommend a good cabinet match for my Model T?  I'm using it in a fairly massive sounding space rock band and just today was toying with the notion of pairing it up with an 8x10 Ampeg bass cab (there's one for sale locally and it's reasonably priced).  Would that be ill-advised?  I'm not interested in being stupidly loud at the expense of sounding good...

Thanks in advance,

Ted

Offline coliseumboy

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 05:04:11 pm »
Would this be for Guitar or Bass??????????

Joel
(another)

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 05:38:51 pm »
Ah!  Crucial information.  This is for guitar.  Mainly a '71 SG.  That's why the notion of buying a bass cabinet is a bit of a question mark.  Do you reckon a bass cabinet would have a detrimental effect on my tone?

Offline coliseumboy

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 05:51:10 pm »
It would definently have balls with a bass cab. you might want to go and take the head with you when you go to check out this cab and test it out and play it by ear. because those 8x10 cabs should handel 300 watts easiy, and the "T" is only around 100 so you should be ok. also what year is the 8x10 cab?

Joel
(another)

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 06:13:39 pm »
The Ampeg cab's fairly new--like 2 years old.  Guy's asking $600 CDN (about $400 US?) for it, which strikes me as reasonable.  I think it's worth a test drive, anyway.

If that fails, is there a particular cab out there that Model T's are known to sound especially sweet with?  I'm thinking I should shoot for cabs around the 300W rating since I'm not really into blowing speakers on a regular basis--though admittedly, it feels pretty good when it happens...

Offline coliseumboy

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 06:45:57 pm »
ya that seems really reasonable and worth the test drive. And the 300 watt idea seems like a good idea too.

Joel
(another)

fatlizzard

model T cab
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 11:29:32 am »
I purchaced a model T new in "73" and it came with a 6x10 cab
that was made for the T, I would suggest trying to find an old sunn 6x10 cad if possible !!!!!!

Offline elvis_bucklehorse

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2003, 06:49:14 pm »
Ah yes--a 6x10 cab would be ideal.  I nixed the 8x10 Ampeg.  It was too much--a little too punchy for my needs, and at 165-170lbs--how does that Dire Straights song go?  "I got to move these/refrigerators..."  See, that's supposed to be why I'm playing rock music--to avoid hard manual labor!  

I've been playing the Model T through a Marshall "1960" 4x12 this past week.  It sounds pretty good--plenty loud.  Just a little mid-rangey/muddy at times.  I don't like how generic Marshall cabs look.  Ah well...