Author Topic: Speaker Replcement for 215b and 415m for guitar  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Doommachine

• http://www.doom-machine.net
Speaker Replcement for 215b and 415m for guitar
« on: May 27, 2002, 04:10:00 am »
Alrighty, I looked for a good mate for my '68 Sentura for LONG time a came up with nothing so I decided to build a 215b going with all the specs I could find just with slightly different materials) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what speakers would sound good in this for use with guitar (tuned to around A# or below and loud). I know JBL D(K,E)130s are the usual but am not very fond of them for distorted guitar...a little too much highs and too HiFish. I guess something similar as far as bass reponse...something that will work well with the folded horn port. I also have a 4x15 cab that sounds great with bass, but I would like to use for guitar as well, and I don't find that the current originals do a lot for guitar...and I would like to preserve them if I wanted to change back later. Any body have any ideas? I have been looking at mostly WeberVST speakers (which, the ones I have heard, I liked). Also, a lot of the old Bassman 2x15 cabs used D130s and several places suggest the new Jensen P15N or C15N as good replacements for those D130s. Wonder how they would fare in either of the Sunn cabs. Kind of a side note, I have a '69 Bassman cab that needs some new speakers and was wondering if anyone had tryed the Jensens in them and had any thoughts.

Thanks for any help

Greg U.
Volume precieved is volume achieved

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2002, 03:55:00 am »
Greg,
 The speakers that you might like to try in your 215B cab would be the new Eminence line of speakers. They are high quality cast frame speakers and are affordable. Good Luck :smile:

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2002, 10:14:00 am »
Hmm... I would have thought that the 2x15 bassman cab's would have used the D140s instead of the D130s if they used JBLs.

I like the ElectroVoice Force 15.  Very smooth with distorted guitar sounds.  CTS 15"... the square magnet speakers, are usually good and cheap for bass, but they also have a decent enough high end to be good for guitar - just not as efficient, and I really don't know if they are still being made.