Author Topic: Sunn Coliseum P.A. head (tube)  (Read 5421 times)

Offline Gus Engstrom

Sunn Coliseum P.A. head (tube)
« on: January 14, 2001, 01:34:00 am »
I just picked up this head off ebay and it is pristine condition..........Can anyone out there tell me about this head . It looks late 60's. Are these the Sunn amps that Hendrix and the Beach Boys were rumored  to have used. All info is greatly appreciated..........
Gus Engstrom

Offline Ryan Phelps

Sunn Coliseum P.A. head (tube)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2001, 01:54:00 pm »
Gus;
Here is the copy from my eBay listing:

This is a 1969 Sunn Coliseum PA amp head. This was Sunn’s largest tube PA and was field-tested by the Beach Boys and Hendrix. The power amp platform was the same one used for Sunn’s mighty 2000S. It utilizes four 6550 output tubes yielding 120 watts RMS and has four channels. It has new power filter caps and negative bias caps (this costs $100 for parts and labor). It's really  very clean with minimal nicks in the tolex. The grille cloth is original and has no holes or snags. It even has the original back panel. The knobs were missing when I bought it so I installed new Fender reissue knobs that are the closest match to the original style knobs (the only difference is Fender knobs are numbered 1-10 and Sunn knobs are numbered 0-10, otherwise they are identical). It also has a new 3-prong AC cord for safety. There was an extra output jack hole in the back of the metal chassis, so I installed a chrome hole cover....it looks pretty unobtrusive. It has the original handle, feet, corners, etc. These Coliseum PA amp heads are exceedingly rare…this is the only one I’ve seen in 32 years of guitar playing.

I hope this helps!
Ryan Phelps