Author Topic: sunn reverb  (Read 1776 times)

Offline daddyo

sunn reverb
« on: May 27, 2005, 07:29:04 am »
my 1969 solarus reverb works, but when I go between two and three the amp starts getting muddy and starts humming alot. i've got the original pan, with the spring stop. I put another pan in it, and it stills does the samething. it's a 6550 amp, and has all new tubes. whatta think

Offline elektron

reverb
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 05:38:36 am »
I can share my experiences fixing reverb on 190L which is similar.  My amp was quite until I turned up the reverb then loud hum very weak reverb.  I replaced the electrolytic caps in that circuit and that help with most hum but the reverb was still weak.  I replaced the corroded connectors that helped with most remaining hum but still weak.  I finally replaced the RT3 transformer and that solved the problem.  Hope this helps.

Offline daddyo

reverb
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 06:40:27 am »
thanks, i'll try changeing the caps and the transformer, thats the small one on the top right

Offline daddyo

reverb
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 07:03:08 am »
could you tell me the size of ths caps you used for the reverb.

Offline elektron

reverb
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 09:05:47 am »
I sent you a PM but I replaced all the caps on vibrato and reverb circuits both electrolytics and others.  Caps are cheap relatively and if your going to go thru the trouble I figure might as well change em all because you can't always tell if a cap is bad just by looking and removing them from the circuit to test is the same amount of work as putting in a new one... anyway my philosophy for what its worth.  I got the transformer from Triode Electronics... In my case I think most of my problem was corroded connectors.. I cleaned them with contact cleaner but that seem to do nothing then I replaced the connectors and made sure they made a good chassis ground connection.....