Author Topic: make the most of a fender  (Read 1761 times)

Offline harmaline

make the most of a fender
« on: July 07, 2005, 02:23:52 am »
hi i took my dead fender reissue model t to the tech and he says he will check it out and see whats wrong.
i figure since the tech is looking over the amp anyway, it might be worth it to have a few modifications done to make the amp even more of a beast...
ideally something could be done to provide more clean headroom and perhaps more beefiness on the gain  channel...

i'd appreciate any suggestions you've got, maybe we can get a bunch of fender Model T info in one place for future newbs like me

also, the fender sunn runs on 12x7s and 6l6s. what might be some possible replacement tubes and what would their effects on tone be?

ok guys sorry for the busy work, any advice would really help me out. take care and thanks

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
make the most of a fender
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 12:34:14 am »
When it comes to amp sound, particularly tube amps, all that matters is what sounds good to the player. That said, here's my 2 cents worth... I think 6550's or KT88's will give you a bit more headroom and hold together deeper before breaking up. They both can pass more current than a 6L6. Most 6550's are a little more musical and less sterile, generally have a more narrow clean frequenct response range than most KT88's but will distort quicker. DEPENDING ON THE PARTICULAR TUBES! Not a drop in replacement, but any competent tech can do it easily. It really depends on what you like. If you want real loud and clean "chimey", but still tasty tone for guitar get a Reeves or maybe a big Hiwatt.
I think most people would agree that 12AX7's are generally the hot ticket for pre amp circuits.