Author Topic: Modify 200s for bi-amp application? Input/opinion  (Read 1999 times)

Offline ryco

Modify 200s for bi-amp application? Input/opinion
« on: July 10, 2005, 09:41:55 pm »
Hello. I'm a bass guitar player. Was wondering if I could use my 200s in a bi-amp application. Would like to use 200s to push hi's thru a 4x12 Marshall cab in conjunction w/ a Peavy Mark III to run lo's thru a Sunn SPL-8028. Amp tech says I don't need to modify the 200s - that I should run it flat and  run thru normal input. I'm wary running controls thru control section. Should I modify 200s with a "line in" to bypass Sunn contols so I can just use the power section. My goal would be to have a tight solid state driving the low end and have a warmer tube sound in the highs. What'choo think?
Also have concert slave to boost low end if needed. Just for fun
<%+

Offline Soundmasterg

Modify 200s for bi-amp application? Input/opinion
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 11:24:48 pm »
A lot of guys do this with Rickenbacker basses because they have a stereo output. This is what Geddy Lee did too, except his setup was all tube. He used a Rickenbacker 4001, with the stereo outs, and the neck pickup went to an Ampeg SVT for a nice tight low bass, and the bridge went to a cranked Sunn 2000S, for a distorted tube sound. If you wire up your bass with a stereo output, you can do it with the Sunn with no mods to it. If you want to go with whatever mono setup is on your bass, then you could still do it if you use a splitter coming out of your bass and run a send to each amp in your rig.