Author Topic: Beta Lead power supply question  (Read 3320 times)

scottyguitar

Beta Lead power supply question
« on: July 09, 2005, 02:01:38 pm »
I have a Sunn Beta Lead that I bought used in Europe back in 1985. Since returning to the States it has sat. I need to change the PT primary tap to match the line voltage here, but I can't find a diagram for the European-spec transformer. Does anyone know which of the taps is 120VAC (wire color code)?

Thanks,

Scott

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 03:45:25 pm »
It would probably be in the manual... which is located on this site.

http://www.dangpow.com/~sunn/svcmans/beta/

You're gonna have to find the right page yourself...

scottyguitar

Nope
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 04:08:51 pm »
It's not in the referenced service manual- I already have a copy. But thanks for the reply. The service manual only covers USA models with 120VAC PTs. Mine has "250V 50/60Hz" on a sticker above the power cord and a lot more taps on the PT- two of which are taped off (one white and one black/red). On mine, the white wire coming from the power cord is attached to the brown/white tap from the PT via a lug mounted on the chassis. I need to know which of the two unused taps is for 120 VAC.

-Scott

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 04:40:27 pm »
Ok... although there may be some power transformers that might provide for voltage changes via wiring one wire to another different tap, this might not be the case.  Remember, a case where an output transformer that selects different taps for different output impedances might not hold true for power transformers.

For power transformers capable of both 120/240 VAC operation, what generally holds true on the input voltage side is that there are two separate primary coils.  For 240 volts, both of these primary coils are wired in series - and for 120 volts, these two primary coils need to be wired in parallel.  Not the same thing as a tap.

Take a look at this model T schematic - see that both primary windings are in parallel.

http://www.dangpow.com/~sunn/schematics/modelt.gif

It can very easily be converted to 240 operation by separating and twisting the blk/wht and brn together... so that the blk transformer wire is attached to the blk plug wire, and the brn/wht transformer wire is connected to the wht plug wire.

You didn't mention the other colors... but this re-wiring would seem to be much the same as yours - brn/wht transformer wire to the wht plug wire... and (guessing here) blk transformer wire to the blk plug wire?

You said that two of the "taps" are taped.  Does this mean that these two taps are connected together?  If so, then these two are the "center" wires where the two primary coils are connected together in series... and where they have to be disconnected to put both of the primary coils in parallel for 120 volt operation.

Does this make sense?

scottyguitar

By Jove, I think I've got it
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 09:18:09 pm »
I think I figured it out. I disconnected all the PT primary and secondary leads from their various connection points. Then I hooked up a 9 VAC power supply to each of the suspected taps (3; no, none of them were twisted together- all separate). I then measured the AC across the red secondary wires for each. By doing this, I was able to deduce that the white wire was 120 VAC, the black/red wire was 220 VAC, and the brown/white wire was 250 VAC (thanks to Paul Ruby for this method) . So I hooked the white wire from the PT to the white wire from the power cord, powered the amp up, and it works much better than before. It doesn't sound weak anymore.

Thanks for the assistance. I am now beginning to remember why I liked this amp so much.

-Scott

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 12:55:35 pm »
Cool!!!  Glad it worked out!