Author Topic: Concert Lead "Boost" switch does nothing, +weird v  (Read 2046 times)

Anonymous

Concert Lead "Boost" switch does nothing, +weird v
« on: July 11, 2005, 04:37:20 am »
Hi there all.  I recently acquired one of the later "red-faced" CL models, and I was lucky enough to get an original foot switch with the lot.  

1.  However, the "boost" function on the amp doesn't really seem to do anything.  I have a suspicion that it might be stuck, because the "distort" effect seems to increase volume a great deal in addition to grit when it is engaged.  Whether I have engaged the distortion or not, switching the boost switch on the amp or clicking it's selector on the footswitch does nothing.  Am I just retarded and doing something wrong or failing to comprehend the subtleties of my newly acquired love child?  Or, is my boost actually broken and is there any way to fix this?  I am extremely tech-UNsavvy and I'm sure I would have no idea what the hell I was looking at if I attempted to open up the amp itself; I'm afraid to do this actually because I'm about as far as one could get from being an amp repair "professional."

2.  The volume knob crackles a bit when I turn it, which is no big deal, but every once in a while it seemingly gets stuck on FULL BLAST.  The first time I cranked up the amp, in fact, I almost shat my pants because of the hair-blowing, gut wrenching volume that was coming out of the thing at a setting of 1.  This seems like something that shouldn't, ideally, be a big deal for me to remedy, but I'm not exactly sure what it in fact is that I need to remedy or how to go about doing so.  Any suggestions?  I have been playing guitar for 10 years (although this amp is still older than I am) but this is the first time I've ever owned a piece of vintage equipment, so this kind of thing has never come up for me before.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 07:13:14 am »
I can't help with the boost problem, but the problem on the volume is a dirty or bad potentiometer. Cleaning the pot might solve the problem. Otherwise, it will have to be replaced.
Isaac

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: Concert Lead "Boost" switch does nothing, +wei
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 10:48:22 am »
Quote from: Anonymous
1.  However, the "boost" function on the amp doesn't really seem to do anything.  I have a suspicion that it might be stuck, because the "distort" effect seems to increase volume a great deal in addition to grit when it is engaged.  Whether I have engaged the distortion or not, switching the boost switch on the amp or clicking it's selector on the footswitch does nothing.  Am I just retarded and doing something wrong or failing to comprehend the subtleties of my newly acquired love child?  Or, is my boost actually broken and is there any way to fix this?  I am extremely tech-UNsavvy and I'm sure I would have no idea what the hell I was looking at if I attempted to open up the amp itself; I'm afraid to do this actually because I'm about as far as one could get from being an amp repair "professional."

The Boost function works in conjunction with the distort knob.  At a distort setting of 10, you'll get very little boosting action, but if you turn the distort knob down, you should get an increase in boost with max boost happening at zero.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 02:34:31 pm »
Thank you very much for the helpful responses!