Author Topic: 2x15 age and replacement speakers?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline sunnfever

2x15 age and replacement speakers?
« on: February 17, 2006, 06:09:36 pm »
I would like to find out when my sunn 2x15 was made. Picked it up in a consignment shop for $60. :D Downside is the JBL's weren't there. Squareback speakers of some sort. Green print on back but no indication of brand. Cab has black and silver logo plate without r symbol and silver grill cover. Nothing inside to indicate anything unless it's hiding from me. Also, I have a single JBL 15 inch. model 2220H, 8 ohm impedance. Any info on these? Would two of these be good replacements for my 2x15? Any info would help.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 09:22:10 pm »
Yes, I think two 2220H drivers would be good. Not exactly the same, but good. Very good.
Isaac

Offline sunnfever

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 10:15:09 pm »
Excuse my poor knowledge. Are these more available than the older JBL's? This speaker has been handed down from friends for 15 years. Is it older than that? Rescued from a particle board homemade cab.(yuck!) It was too much for my homemade cab.(built out of all poplar. Is that strange?) I took that out and popped in a sunn magna 158 15" and it sounded much better. I have two magnas but only one works. Any opinions on the magnas? Thanks alot and I love this sight. Some of my friends don't even know what a sunn is and when they see mine they get that"What is this old crap without all the bells and whistles?" look. Fools! More sunns for me!(he he :evil: )

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 07:42:14 am »
The 2220H is an older JBL. It's a sound reinforcement woofer, as opposed to a musical instrument speaker. The current model is the 2226H/J.

The F series (D140F, etc.) is highly sought after. They're hard to find, and expensive. The E series and the K series are usually easier to find, and less expensive. IIRC, the K series were said to be the same as the F series, with only cosmetic changes. The JBL technical specs support that, at least in the case of the D130 and K130.
Isaac

Offline sunnfever

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 04:10:46 pm »
Will the 2220H(or two if I could find one) not have the frequency response I would probably want in in my 2x15 cab? What I mean to say is are they not very "musical" being that they are for sub reinforcement? Hope this is somewhat clear.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 06:56:24 pm »
Not clear at all. Whether or not it will have the frequency response you want depends entirely on what frequency response you want. If you want what it produces, you're good. If not, then not. Likewise, what do you mean by "not musical"?

The 2220 was not designed as a subwoofer. It was designed as a woofer. Do you know the difference? Woofers are used to produce bass, up to the crossover with the midrange (in a three-way system) or the tweeter (in a two-way). Subwoofers are used to fill in the low bass below the woofer. All are "musical" in their way.

The D140, perhaps the most famous musical instrument driver ever, has a high frequency rolloff at about 2000 Hz. That's not very high, but they are very musical. I love mine, but I am considering adding a "tweeter". Midrange, actually. Anyway, the 2220 is probably comparable.
Isaac

Offline sunnfever

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 07:25:38 pm »
I have been been told that the 2220H is ceramic and it would probably sound better with solid state head. The D 140s are alnico and would be good with my tube head. Looks ike I will be experimenting with some combinations based on new info and when I can track down the older JBLs. Fantastic info from the more experienced people here. Thanks so much! As I stated in other posts it's hard to get a bead on exactly what I have due to missing tags,badges, and scratched off or faded printing. Lots of help here though!