Author Topic: SB200 Bass Amp, any such thing?  (Read 6550 times)

Offline aynchent1

SB200 Bass Amp, any such thing?
« on: September 11, 2001, 01:19:00 am »
I saw a used amp at a music shop today that said it was a Sunn SB200 bass amp. 200 watts, looked like a single 15" built in speaker. I've been searching the web for hours, can't find ANY reference to an SB200 by Sunn. It has a SN sticker K62698, and an inspection sticker (sorry, no details).  If any other info would be helpful in identifying, I'll gladly get it.

Is this really a Sunn, or some kind of knockoff/ripoff?

Rich DM

Offline aynchent1

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2001, 02:40:00 pm »
An update:  It does appear to be the real thing.  
"Made by Sunn Musical Equipment Co.
a Hartzell Corporation Company
19350 SW 89th
Tualatin, OR 97062"

No dates on the box.  Has the logo.
6 big transistors on heat sinks on the back of the box.
Rich DM

Offline Don T

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2001, 09:04:00 pm »
Hello;
 The SB200 op guide should be up on this site. Search the service manual section. I din't think I can describe where to find those pesky ground loops in the pre-amp section. If your amp does not pick up radio stations then it is OK.
Don T
It's the ear not the gear.

Offline aynchent1

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2001, 11:03:00 pm »
Don T, Don't see any info on the SB200 on this site.  Does anyone have schematics or user manual for this amp?  BTW, I now own the one mentioned above(!).
Rich DM

Offline brettpobastad

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2001, 09:26:00 pm »
I have a Sunn SB-200 amp that I bought brand new from the factory in Tualatin, Oregon back in 1985 and I have been using it ever since. It has been a great amp! It has got a ton of power in a small package. Bullet proof cabinet and great sounding, clean, very low end. Add a seven or nine band graph and a 4/12 external enclousure and your killin' em! I have had a few wiring problems with it, nothing major. I have had to replace the power switch twice. The factory switch was a piece of shit. I still have the original factory manual which is very helpfull and would be glad to share. I have a question for ya'll. The speaker in my SB-200 is shot after years of use. It's the original factory speaker and I've got my use out of it. Anybody got any ideas on what to replace it with? I'm thinking a JBL or Peavy Black Widow or maybe a Radio Shack 15"!

E-mail me at brettpobastad@toledotel.com
Sunn SB-200 amp
G&L L-2000e bass
no effects
blues trio

Offline gms1421

Sunn SB200
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 10:51:00 am »
I purchased a Sunn SB200 new in 1986.  It is one of the cleanest sounding small bass amps I have used.  I run it with the factory speaker in the amp cab, and a 15" EV in a ported enclosure, and with two 4 ohms speakers have an RMS rating of 300 watts.  I have used it in small clubs, and rooms of up to 1000 people, and it really cranks.  Has bright input, and a great master volume setup.  Played almost 1000 gigs with it with only one minor electronic failure in the effects loop jacks.  This has been a great amp, very low background noise, very portable, and has a clean, strong low end punch.  I think they only produced this amp for about 2-3 years.

Offline Don T

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 12:40:04 am »
Hello:
 Here's the link to the manual
http://www.dangpow.com/~sunn/svcmans/SB-200/
It's the ear not the gear.