Author Topic: new model t vs. vintage  (Read 2522 times)

Offline nathan

new model t vs. vintage
« on: July 18, 2000, 05:33:00 pm »
i know very little about sunn amps but have become very interested in acquiring some gear after seeing bands like goatsnake/sunn perform with them - among the best guitar sounds i've ever heard! living in london you just don't see sunn products second hand (at least i have'nt had any luck yet) so i'm wondering if the new model t delivers a close approximation in sound to the vintage heads. can anyone give me some advice?

Offline Ryan Phelps

new model t vs. vintage
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2000, 12:39:00 am »
Nathan;
I have not played through the reissued Model T, however I do know that it uses a quartet of 6L6GC output tubes. The original Sunn amps used 6550 output tubes predominantly, with EL34's on the lower-powered amps such as the Sonaro. These tube selections were a hold-over from the early days of Sunn when the amp chassis were actually Dynaco hi-fi amps. 6L6GC's sound very different than 6550's so I wouldn't expect the reissues to sound like the original Sunn amps. I own several 60's and 70's vintage Sunn tube amps and they are wonderful...especially for bass. They are also a tremendous value for vintage gear. Keep looking and you will find a vintage Sunn tube head! New filter caps and fresh tubes and you will be in bass tone heaven!

Good Luck!
Ryan