Author Topic: Sunn Cab help  (Read 2363 times)

Offline ryanowens

• something something
Sunn Cab help
« on: September 05, 2006, 06:01:32 pm »
I am in the process of fixing "improvements" the previous owner made to a 4x12 cab and am looking for some pointers.  Almost all the screws are of mismatched type or completely stripped so that's first off to fix but more importantly I want to know which screws are holding the back piece of wood together.  I want to get in and make sure it is not wired wrong but I'm not looking to rip apart the tolex to do so.  There are no obvious screws to go at since none of them match and if I can avoid removing everything to try to figure it out I'd like to.  Also, if I do end up replacing the tolex (someone did some spraypainting on it and I'm not so sure I can cover it nicely) anyone have any good how-to's for the process?

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
Re: Sunn Cab help
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 01:46:11 am »
hey sorry i dont know nothin about 4X12s, but i do have a SUNN 2000S head that had a band logo sprayed on top-
my friend brought over a can of oil-based black spray paint and after taping over the metal and handle we gently sprayed over the white stenciled letters and now the tolex looks great.
good luck
staninsanfran
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline ryanowens

• something something
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 05:08:25 pm »
I gave up on getting the back to come off and took the speakers out from the front to rewire and get the junk out of there (I found several washers and an empty pack of Marlboro 100s, god).  Then I went over some possible tears in the speakers (nothing looking or sounding off when I tested it out originally) just to be safe.  I am glad I rewired it as there was some questionable cabling going on at best.  I wired it as a parallel to dump it to 4 ohms to get it a bit closer to the 2 ohms my Coliseum Lead dumps out.  I'll find out if'n it's show-ready tonight.

Still to-do:
-backplate for the jack (there's just a lucite square there now and it's a bit on the ugly side)
-paint over band graffiti
-replace grill cloth
-repaint Sunn logo (he went at it with a sharpie or something)

rick.heil

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 09:26:16 am »
Oh lord....sounds like that last owner really had no respect for the thing. That poor cab....

at least it has a proper owner now   :-D (thumbs up, dude!)