Author Topic: Sunn 6x12 cab - speaker replace  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Shepherd777

Sunn 6x12 cab - speaker replace
« on: September 17, 2006, 06:14:48 am »
Hi,

I'm new here, so 1st: hello you all! Great place.

Now I got a question: I've been offered a 6x12 cabinet for a cheap deal. Now that I don't know anything about the speakers (sunn guitar transducers), except for ohms and watts... PLUS it's just 5 of'em in the cab I would be happy if someone could give me some info and help me answering the following questions:

- What do these speakers sound like (compared to any kind of Celestion made ones as I'm quite familiar with most of the common Celestions)?

- As there's only 5 in a 6x12 cabinet I need to add a 6th one. Until I find the right one I might need/wanna replace the left one with a different speaker. What would you choose (brand, model) as a speaker that matches with the 5 guitar transducers?

Thanks a ton in advance to anybody that could/would give me an answer!

rick.heil

Re: Sunn 6x12 cab - speaker replace
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 03:35:09 pm »
If you look at the thread http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php?topic=3086.0 here, it's for two...maybe you could convince the guy to only sell one.  Or you could go to pay-thru-the-noseBay.

As for how sunns sound compared to celestions, I'm not really sure, sorry. 

P.S. - damn, you got lucky!  That cab is going to be F@%$ing LOUD!

Offline Bhairab108

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 04:16:59 pm »
GET IT GET IT GET IT!! its a sunn 6x12!! that alone would have sold me, i would worry about sound as an aftertought.i'm one of those awful people who swap out speakers in my "vintage" cabs.besides its a snap to find replacment transducers,just look on here or ebay at any given time. 6X12!! HELL YEAH!!

rick.heil

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 04:51:11 pm »
heehee.  So you're one of THOSE!  :evil:

What speakers do you put in though?  "Awful" modern ones or "vintage" ones?

Offline fatlizzard

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 05:47:41 pm »
I've got a Sunn 3-12 cab with original sunn transducers that sounds great for bass by itself or paired with my
2-15 Sunn cab, assuming your cab has the same speakers it should sound twice as good!I had a Sunn 6-10 cab years ago that I loaded with J.B.L. D-110's that sounded loud,clean and bright but I probably couldn't afford to do the same today. on any vintage sunn cab I would use the original speakers or a J.B.L. D series!

Offline Shepherd777

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 02:55:05 am »
No worries, guys. Of course I took it. I mean, how can I NOT? Tried it out yesterday. The sound is nice and VERY warm. A thundering punch in the lower mids completes the experience. I'd say it's kinda typical EMINENCE sounding, very American. It's totally lacking the freaky aggression Celestions deliver.

My only concern is that it seems to break a lot earlier and the membranes rattle if you feed them with too much bass. So this cabinet definitely isn't for bass. I've been thinking to swap the speakers and load it with 500W Eminence Deltas so that I can use it for both, guitar and bass. The Sunn Trasnducer Speakers will be perfect in my ROY 4x12 combo (a fantastic sounding VOX AC 30 copy from the mid 70s...)

Anyway...I'm still interested what you guys have to say about the Sunn Transducer speakers.

Offline Bhairab108

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 10:21:27 am »
SWAMP THANGS!!!! my most favorite speaker ever!! dark doomy and punchy.....

rick.heil

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 09:55:25 pm »
to be sure, the sunns have a great throaty low-mid sound.  the rattling I'm not sure about, however, it may be a cone or voice coil issue.  If so, you should get that fixed before gigging (don't want it blowing out in the middle of a show)...take it to any speaker dealer/repairman worth his salt and he'll be able to tell you what's going on.

Or it could just be that your amp produces a lot more bass than the sunns do...depends on what kind of amp you're using.