Author Topic: Beta Lead Vs. Bass  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Andy's Junky Music

Beta Lead Vs. Bass
« on: September 30, 2006, 08:15:43 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong please but are the beta lead and bass the same head except for the lead having reverb?  Someone let me know cause I just picked up a 412L and want to get either a lead or bass to go with it.  Help me out!
-Andy

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Beta Lead Vs. Bass
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 09:41:35 pm »
Could be that the EQ is different. I'd expect that it is. Amp section should be the same.
Isaac

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 08:54:27 am »

Isaac is correct - the range of the bass control is the same, but the mid and treble control are shifted down on the beta bass about an octave from the beta lead.

As it relates to sound, the bass model should be slightly thicker sounding depending on the mid setting, and the treble will have slightly more upper midrange content and brightness capability.

Offline Andy's Junky Music

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 11:07:48 am »
so keeping that in mind you guys think the beta bass would be jst as good for stoner/doom as the beta lead?  Aaron edge Im looking to you on this one

Offline n!k

• N!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 12:31:43 am »
Buzzo of the Melvins and Wata from Boris have both used Sunn Beta Bass heads for guitar in their past. The answer is a big yes.
My Sunn Amp:
1971 "Coliseum" Model T (Prototype, Made in Portland)

rick.heil

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 11:57:34 am »
yeah, I think Buzzo actually used to use one of each when he was on tour..... I can vouch for n!k that Buzzo definetly owns both for sure.