Author Topic: beta bass 1x15  (Read 3060 times)

Offline giovanni

beta bass 1x15
« on: October 17, 2006, 12:47:39 pm »
just picked up from guitar center, and man is it daaaaaaaaark.  it'll look great next to my model t/100s full stack.  alas there is some crackle when turning the drive knob, pot needs cleaning perhaps? 

rick.heil

Re: beta bass 1x15
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 10:54:26 pm »
Most likely that.  Not quite sure if you should be heading towards the pot cleaner or the WD-40...some people say the pot cleaner dries out the tracks too much, others point out the WD-40 doesn't conduct very well...

Any other people have opinions?

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 02:47:05 pm »

NEVER use WD-40 to clean a pot.  It doesn't conduct too well?  Well, think about it - wouldn't any conductive cleaner short-circuit the pot??   :roll:

Pots get scratchy primarily because of dirt and dust, and through oxidation that may have built up over time.  The rotating slider moving over enough of it sometimes make good contact, and sometimes does not.  This make and break of contact is what causes the crackling noise.

Get a decent tuner/control cleaner.  It will dissolve any oxidation and blow away any dirt and dust.  A decent cleaner will also have a slight lubricant, usually a mineral oil, that will help lubricate the moving parts.

Make sure you check out the controls - for example, the Drive control on the Beta is a dual pot, so remember to spray both sections. 

When spraying a pot, do not overspray and try to get what you do spray inside the pot and not all over the circuit board - clean up any excess with a paper towel if you do overspray. Use the spray tube that comes with for better accuracy. Protect your eyes. Rotate the control multiple times after spraying.  Wait for the cleaner to dry before plugging in or powering up the equipment - normally about 5 minutes.  You did power off and unplug before you started... right?

Offline rdobirdman

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 10:19:54 am »
If you don't mind me asking, what's the going rate for one of these. I have one that I just fixed but it still has a blown speaker, it's going to cost me $65 to have it re-coned and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Offline feel the sunn

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 11:00:25 am »
I have one that I just fixed but it still has a blown speaker, it's going to cost me $65 to have it re-coned and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

i wouldn't bother.  there's no need to mess around with that old thing.  just sell it to me and forget about it.

Offline rdobirdman

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 11:23:00 am »
OK make me an offer :-D