Author Topic: Second Gen. Model T Tone??  (Read 1915 times)

Offline stockcar1414

Second Gen. Model T Tone??
« on: January 14, 2007, 06:29:05 pm »
Hey guys, I just got my amp back from a tech that works at a local guitar store.  I got it retubed, recapped and rebiased and now it sounds great...but it only sounds great when I don't use the Brite channel and when the mid switch is pushed all the way to the right (the least amount of treble).  Basically if i switch the mid switch to another setting, the amp starts to sound distorted and dirty, and the same thing happens when I use the brite channel or using both channels with the brite knob turned up...is this inherent to the amp, and will doing eliminating the mid boost and fixing the master volume control as it says in the mods fix this problem and make my amp have a better variety of clean tones?

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: Second Gen. Model T Tone??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:06:13 am »

If you have the channel volumes set lower than roughly 2 1/2 to 3, then the sound should be pretty clean.  Turning up the middle control may cause additional distortion at the mid-frequency range selected, since the range is actually boosted and this can cause the mid boost stages to overdrive into clipping.

The simplist thing that could cause this... with the brite channel only and only when flipping to different mid frequencies is dirty controls.  It really sounds like the brite volume pot and the switch could do with a good cleaning, and that usually means the others will soon follow suit.

The two mods won't fix the problem. But they will help improve the clean sound of the amp and give the middle control more range at the low setting.

Offline stockcar1414

Re: Second Gen. Model T Tone??
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 12:24:48 pm »
thanks for the response Joe...I know the pots don't need cleaning considering I cleaned all the pots thoroughly when I first got it, but I'll try turning down those settings....I think I might do the mods as well because I thought it also sounded best with the mid dial at zero