Author Topic: FUZZ / DISTORTION  (Read 1956 times)

Offline n!k

• N!
FUZZ / DISTORTION
« on: April 28, 2007, 08:58:51 pm »
As we all know, Sunn amps devour effect pedals like none other. List off what you got, or what
you have tried.

I own:

EHX USA Big Muff PI - Thick and creamy fuzz. Very smooth sustain that gets nasaly high up the neck. Sucks the low-end out of your tone though.

Voodoo Labs Superfuzz - Nasty, dirty fuzz! Very ugly but thick distortion that maintains tons of low-end for a guitar pedal. You can make it super sensitive or very indifferent which is cool. The harder you play the more fuzz you get.

I have tried on my Sunn Coliseum:

ZVEX Woolly Mammoth - Huge low-end and very weird, intense fuzz. The knobs are very interactive and it takes awhile to find good tones, but they're here. Pushes sub-bass freq. harder than any fuzz I've ever played. $300 makes it outrageously priced, but I'm thinking about it!
My Sunn Amp:
1971 "Coliseum" Model T (Prototype, Made in Portland)

Offline rick.heil

Re: FUZZ / DISTORTION
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 01:15:16 am »
Of course I gots the Big Muff Pi, Russian edition.  Good for that thick, muddy sound with guitar or keyboards.
I built my own little fuzz box... it is downright nasty, a real buzz saw of an effect. I love it.
I also use (pretty much interchangably) a no-name distortion pedal with a sweepable mid control and the Line6 Uber Metal pedal.  The Uber Metal I love a lot, has great tone, you can get some great heavy tones from it, and it even has a built in noise gate!

Offline TheLustyGhost

• http://www.myspace.com/beardofboston
Re: FUZZ / DISTORTION
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 09:57:37 am »
I'm waiting to get my Solarus back to try it, but I recently traded for a Nick Greer Gold Nugget, which I LOVE with my Mesa/Boogie Studio 22 (it actually makes that amp sound a lot like the Solarus does when it's up around 8).  Not a fuzz, but a great pedal, and it works REALLY well in series after a fuzz.

I've got a Guyatone TZ1 that I use for bass.  It sounds really shrill with guitar through most amps, but the Solarus actually makes it sound pretty good.  It's not a conventional fuzz -  I guess it puts out more of a sawtooth wave than a square wave, which implies that it's not based on simple clipping.  I love the sound of it, but it does tend to get lost in the mix.

Russian Big Muff is a no-brainer.  The LED broke on mine, and I finally got around to replacing it with a yellow (or was it green?) one recently.

I actually really like the distortion in the EH Bass Balls, but I don't really like envelope controlled filters, so I never use it.  When I know more about electronics I'll probably try to replace the envelope follower with an expression pedal control and have an EH Talking Pedal clone.

Built one of those Ultrafuzz things fron the Electronic ProjectsFor Musicians book.  It's hideous, but in a good way.  I doubt I'll ever use it with a band, but I've been doing some solo music that uses Commodore 64 and a few other vintage computers, and the Ultrafuzz would probably sound right at home with that.  Very synthetic with ugly, glitchy gating.