Author Topic: QUESTION about - Sunn 4x12 Cabinets  (Read 5963 times)

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: QUESTION about - Sunn 4x12 Cabinets
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 08:00:35 am »

I'd suggest something like the Morley Tripler http://www.zzounds.com/item--MLYTRIPLER

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 08:49:06 am »
um...http://www.247guitar.biz/detail.php?StockCode=LEHLE3AT1

It looks like this splitter goes the other way, three instruments into one amp.

Offline dc10bass

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 09:00:07 am »
This one will give me 1 instrument INPUT = 2 amp OUT / 1 tuner OUT
3 total OUT, but only 2 are dedicated to feeding amps.

http://www.axess-electronics.com/
BS2 Guitar Audio Buffer/Splitter

The BS2 Guitar Audio Buffer/Splitter prevents the loss of (1) signal level (2) high end frequency response (3) low end punch that is caused by cable capacitance and poorly designed input stage/circuitry of some effect pedals.
Our buffer circuit is a very high quality Op-Amp based design that is both low-noise and MUSICAL, don’t let other’s try to deceive you, nothing is transparent !!!
Three outputs allow a single guitar signal to feed a tuner and two amplifiers without any signal loss and/or tonal degradation.
Two of the three outputs are connected in parallel and the third is Transformer Isolated to prevent Ground Loop Hum/Noise when driving two amplifiers.
The Transformer Isolated output is equipped with a Phase Reverse switch to prevent phase cancellation problems from occurring when driving two amplifiers.
Powered by a 9VDC Adapter (we recommend the Boss PSA Series - not included) with a 5.5mm/2.1mm barrel connector.
Housed in a compact (4.40" x 2.40" x 1.30") and rugged 0.064" thick aluminum enclosure for years of reliable use and performance.
Brushed finish with black anodize coating and laser-engraved printing.

Offline dc10bass

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 09:27:08 am »

I'd suggest something like the Morley Tripler http://www.zzounds.com/item--MLYTRIPLER

Ooooo (or should I say WHOOOOO), this looks like a possible winner!

Never saw this gem before... THANKS!!!!

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 02:44:43 pm »
um...http://www.247guitar.biz/detail.php?StockCode=LEHLE3AT1

It looks like this splitter goes the other way, three instruments into one amp.

i got one-it actually works either way-3 into one or one into 3.
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 03:00:57 pm »

So as far as using three amps; Coliseum Bass, 880, & Lead.
What is the best method for running one line from my bass to each of these amps?!

I was told by many in the know that using a Y cable splitter would degrade the signal,
but that would only give me two lines from one bass not three lines...

What should I do?
I dunno. What did Entwistle do? Couldn't you plug into one input, then run a cord from the other input to the next amp, and so on, daisy-chaining them?

The thing about degrading the sound is that, while it's demonstrably true, it may not matter. You might like it. It might be part of the sound the Ox got back then. It also depends on how much of an impedance mismatch you get. So why not just try it, and see what happens? It won't hurt anything.
Isaac

Offline dc10bass

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 04:21:24 pm »

So as far as using three amps; Coliseum Bass, 880, & Lead.
What is the best method for running one line from my bass to each of these amps?!

I was told by many in the know that using a Y cable splitter would degrade the signal,
but that would only give me two lines from one bass not three lines...

What should I do?
I dunno. What did Entwistle do? Couldn't you plug into one input, then run a cord from the other input to the next amp, and so on, daisy-chaining them?

The thing about degrading the sound is that, while it's demonstrably true, it may not matter. You might like it. It might be part of the sound the Ox got back then. It also depends on how much of an impedance mismatch you get. So why not just try it, and see what happens? It won't hurt anything.

I tried that... didn't work.
I ran my bass into the front input of the Coliseum bass, then line out from back of Coliseum bass into front of Coliseum Lead input.
What happens is that what ever you do to the controls of the Coliseum bass, such as turn the volume down to zero, effects the Coliseum Lead.
It doesn't send the bass signal without the Coliseum bass settings...

Morley also just released an updated "ABC" box... 1 input / 3 outputs!

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 05:21:42 pm »
I tried that... didn't work.
I ran my bass into the front input of the Coliseum bass, then line out from back of Coliseum bass into front of Coliseum Lead input.
What happens is that what ever you do to the controls of the Coliseum bass, such as turn the volume down to zero, effects the Coliseum Lead.
It doesn't send the bass signal without the Coliseum bass settings...

Morley also just released an updated "ABC" box... 1 input / 3 outputs!

NO, NO, NO, NO and NO. Never run the line out into the input of another preamplifier.  The line out is at... well, line level, usually around 1 volt RMS. The input of an amplifier is normally expecting around 50 milivolts rms - that's like 0.050 volts. So you are feeding into the input about 20 times more voltage than it is designed to handle.

And of course, the first amp is going to control the second amp - they are in series. You want to run the amps in parallel so you can control each one individually. At least I think that is your intent.

The Morley "ABC" box is passive, just like this one:

http://www.247guitar.biz/detail.php?StockCode=LEHLE3AT1

If your intent is not to load down the signal from your bass, passive ain't gonna do it for you. If you want the bare minimum, go with a passive splitter but stick some kind of amp before it - like the old or reissue version of the EH LPB-1 so at least your bass is buffered from the effects of loading into three amps.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 04:24:13 pm »
In the old days (yikes, that sounds bad) we used to plug the guitar into one input, put a guitar cord into the other one and plug that into the next amp...and so on and so on.

Several pictures I have seen appear to show both the Who and Hendrix doing the same.

I tried it from my 200S to my Acoustic 150 and it worked fine. But from my 150 into the 200S...I got lots of noise and it didn't work well. I wonder if some techs way back when modded the amps to make it work...although unless you have  a unity gain amp or preamp which you can raise the signal level...the signal is cut in half each time you add another amp.....maybe I'll just go back to the old days.

Except I am having too much fun today! Today I use my Line 6 bass pod and use the bi-amp feature from it....man...what a machine.