Author Topic: wanted, 1 - JBL D140 15" speaker  (Read 5480 times)

Offline Jan_68_100s

wanted, 1 - JBL D140 15" speaker
« on: July 13, 2007, 09:08:31 am »
Hello all,
  Restoring a 68' 200s Cab, need a speaker big time. 

Thanks,

Jan :mrgreen:

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
Re: wanted, 1 - JBL D140 15" speaker
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 04:05:34 pm »
I just posted one on ebay. Seller is aejoseph

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 05:08:48 pm »
Call Jammin' Jersey in Northridge, CA. I'm not schilling for these guys, but I have bought several drivers from them. They absolutely know their stuff about speakers, especially the vintage stuff, and I'll bet they have a good selection of OEM D140's in most impedances.
They also know how to ship speakers, which is very important!
http://www.jamminjersey.com/

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 04:08:33 pm »

Ok Ed, I'll bite - out of curiosity more than anything else...

What is the correct way to ship speakers?

I'm serious - I'd wrap them in plastic, pad them with bubble wrap, stick them in a box and fill the box with peanuts.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 05:13:44 pm »
First; There is NO 100% safe way.

Careless package handlers can destroy absolutely anything devised by man to foil them, and they don't honor insurance claims in most instances. Actually, I've never had a UPS claim satisfied, ever!
I have found that in the actual cabinet is the best.
I used to like to have a pair of them bolted together in a box tightly filled with styrofoam and/or bubble wrap, but I had an experience with some SRO's that negated that theory. Box intact, hardly battered, cast frames shattered inside. Like David freekin' Copperfield did it, absolutely amazing.
I’ll send you pics, Joe. I should donate them to the Ripley’s “Believe it or Not” museum.
Jammin’ Jersey packs the drivers tight, and insulated with corrugated cardboard, probably 1.5” all around, in individual boxes. Then they pack the individual boxes tight into one double walled shipping box.
As I said, I’m sure they could get destroyed, but IMO they do it right.

I realize that Jan_68_100s only needs one driver, but I've only ordered them in pairs or quads. I would assume they have a method for sending one that is equally safe.

Offline ryanowens

• something something
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 02:13:51 pm »
I had UPS lose three of four speakers in one shipment (though I did actually get the insurance to cover the missing ones) and the fourth showed up with a bent frame and dented cone.  The three other times I've had speakers shipped they showed up fine.  Still, I'd wager it's a 50/50 that it'll not be destroyed.  Ugh.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 06:31:19 pm »
My usual method of shipping is to place the speaker in a plastic bag, bolt it to a piece of 1/2 plywood cut to fit tightly in a box, place a ring of cardboard around the rim tall enough to be held tightly against a piece of double thick cardboard jamming the speaker and board hard against the bottom of the box, fill the outer void with foam noodles and then close the box tightly.

So far all speakers have arrived safe and sound…but Ed is right….one never knows when the shipping gremlins will strike. I just get pissed off when some bozo packs stuff between the cone and frame, damaging the cone, then tapes a piece of thin styrofoam over the front and places the whole thing in a thin box not meant for shipping anything heavier than those bags of air. I have had boxes delivered that the speaker was falling out of....makes me sick. And I also have yet to be satisfied with any shippers insurance process.