Author Topic: Sunn 412L (Vintage) vs. Sunn 412 (Fender Reissue cab)  (Read 4995 times)

Offline dc10bass

Sunn 412L (Vintage) vs. Sunn 412 (Fender Reissue cab)
« on: July 01, 2007, 09:18:16 pm »
Anyone have a strong opinion about these cabinets either way?
How does Fender's reissue stack up?

Which would work best with a 70's Coliseum Lead head using a bass.
(I'm bi-amping my Coliseum heads with a DBX crossover, highs go to the Lead head ...Entwistle style)

Thank you!!!

Curt

Offline ryanowens

• something something
Re: Sunn 412L (Vintage) vs. Sunn 412 (Fender Reissue cab)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 08:42:30 am »
While I haven't used these cabs, I have had a crack at the Beta 402 cab (using a Rickenbacker 4001 with the Rick-o-sound sending the treble pickup into a Coliseum Lead) and I find that it sounds a lot better with that cab than others.  For example, I also tried that setup subbing in a generic 412 with JBLs as well as a Marshall 412 and while it didn't sound bad I definitely preferred the Sunn cab the best.

If you get a chance, I would suggest trying out a 410 for the highs, I was going to build a proper cab for some Transducers I had laying around but got impatient and just put them into a bass cab (using some sound foam to block out the port) and the results were actually pretty nice.

Though it may be psychosomatic, I think the Sunn speakers make a big difference.

Offline dc10bass

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 02:20:07 pm »
Thanks...

I already have 2 Sunn 4x10 cabs (Fender reissue), so I'll see how it sounds.
I had just heard how much better the Sunn 4x12 sounded with the Coliseum Lead for bass.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 01:35:23 am »
Anyone have a strong opinion about these cabinets either way?
How does Fender's reissue stack up?

Which would work best with a 70's Coliseum Lead head using a bass.
(I'm bi-amping my Coliseum heads with a DBX crossover, highs go to the Lead head ...Entwistle style)

Thank you!!!

Curt

I've got the 412L(mid/late 70's model, I believe?  Black grille, white inside, red logo, etc.), and it's got some nice bottom end.  Surprisingly lighter than pretty much any cabinet I've used(the Traynor YBA-1A I have is probably heavier), though I play guitar, so I couldn't really say how a bass would sound through it.  I'll assume 'great', though. :)
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab