Author Topic: Question for Conrad about 1971 speakers in my 215 cabs  (Read 2325 times)

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
Question for Conrad about 1971 speakers in my 215 cabs
« on: January 01, 2009, 03:52:03 pm »
First of all, Conrad, happy new year!  I enjoyed seeing the photos of you with the Eurotube guys that were posted earlier this week.

I recently opened up the back of my 215 cabinet that I bought new at Quigley Music in Kansas City in June 1971.  It came with a Sorado head, and I still have the original vinyl covers.  (There are photos with my post in the Q&A section if you're interested.)

To my shock and amazement this cabinet's speakers have round black labels with GUITAR TRANSDUCER and have no identifying codes on the outside of the baskets.  A second cabinet I bought used last year has square-black-label BASS TRANSDUCERS and have the following codes on them: 81.0010 and 67.7132.  I believe they were made by Eminence, probably in the 32nd week of 1971.

Was I sold the wrong cabinet with my Sorado?  Or were "guitar transducers" also used for bass cabs?  (The sound always has been outstanding, so this possibility never even crossed my mind.)  Both cabinets sound great by themselves or together; one is just slightly louder than the other.  But it bugs me to think Quigley might have sold me the wrong cabinet with the Sorado head.   

Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880