Author Topic: Wanted to Buy: Early '70s Model T  (Read 5968 times)

Offline flatfish

Wanted to Buy: Early '70s Model T
« on: January 23, 2008, 12:43:27 pm »
I just stumbled across this site recently--what a great resource.

I'm looking for a first generation Model T in order to get a distorted Mel Schacher-style bass sound.  If you have one in excellent condition that you'd like to sell, I would be very interested.

Thanks!

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Wanted to Buy: Early '70s Model T
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:25:11 pm »
Why not get the actual amp Mel used to get the tone?
Here's the story/legend;
I think GFR actually used the West "Fillmore", which is a 4xKT88 amp. One of my favorite stories is that Mel Schacher ran his output so hot that he had a roadie with an oven mitt behind his rig at live gigs changing Genelex output tubes as they flamed out during their set. I don't know if it's actually true, but a great story none the less! If you listen his tone (or more acurately "controlled roar") on the first GFR live album, it seems almost plausible.
Don't forget to use a Jazz Bass with a Gibson "Mudbucker" stuck in the middle, and use flatwound (I think tapewound) strings.

Offline flatfish

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 07:42:27 pm »
Very interesting story about Mel's gear as used on GFR's "Live" record, which remains a favorite of mine.  I knew that he used West amps, but I know virtually nothing about that manufacturer, which I think was located in Michigan (like GFR itself).  I've never seen a West amp for sale, much less laid eyes on or played through one (unlike a friend's Model T).  Anyway, if anyone here would like some post-holiday cash for an early Model T that's in excellent shape but not getting used, I'd be quite interested.

Offline 1keoni

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 02:11:45 am »
   I have an old West catalog somewhere,let me try dig it up.

John

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 06:03:30 pm »
Yeah, I burned up a couple of copies of GFR Live trying to learn those smokin' bass lines, it's a great album. I don't think Mel Schacher gets nearly enough credit for influencing so many young bass players in the early 70's.

West is still in Michigan. They (or rather "he") didn't make a lot of amps, mostly for the local MI home boys; GFR, Dick Wagner, etc.
Lucky for those who seek the Schacher tone, the amps are rumored to be being reissued, by Dave West himself.
http://www.westlabs.com/Frames.HTML
Every once and awhile one of the old ones pop up on eBay, they are pretty reasonable considering how rare they are.

Offline flatfish

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »
Hey, thanks for the interesting info on West amps.  I'll check the site out.  I've got a cool color photo of Mel in a leather vest with a butt hanging off his lip playing his sunburst Jazz in front of a gigantic West stack.  It was taken at an outdoor show in Cincinatti or Cleveland sometime in the early '70s.  There are a few teenagers hanging in back of the stage in utter awe (that's where I would have been if I had had the chance).  Anyway, I'm not a big fan of Mike Huckabee (the politician & bass player) but he did say in a recent interview that Mel Schacher was "a very underrated bass player."  I couldn't agree more.  Mel played great lines in GFR and he had a huge sound.

Offline flatfish

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 07:09:25 pm »
I just went to the Westlabs site and pulled up the picture there of Mel playing--it's the exact same picture I was talking about in my previous post!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:39:41 pm »
I just went to the Westlabs site and pulled up the picture there of Mel playing--it's the exact same picture I was talking about in my previous post!
As soon as I read your description of that Schacher picture, I knew you had to be referencing the same one as on the Westlabs site. Classic! How cool was that massive West rig? I want it!

Offline flatfish

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 11:38:01 am »
For me, that photo of Mel is the height of early '70s Cool.  In fact, I've got a framed copy on the wall in my practice room...it brings me back to my late teen years when I play along to "Inside Looking Out" or "Paranoid."