Author Topic: What Cab for a 70's concert bass?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline fnoe2001

What Cab for a 70's concert bass?
« on: March 10, 2008, 02:39:14 pm »
I just got a concert bass head, late 70's - red knobs.  I want to get a cabinet for it but am not sure which would be best a 2x12 aguilar or a 4x12 aguilar.  I don't know if it is powerful enough to drive the 4x12 (which can handle up to 1200 watts @ 4 ohms).  Would it help to get a concert slave?  I don't know how that would even work.  Or am i better off with the 2x12 (which only handles 600 watts @ 4 ohms).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thx.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
Re: What Cab for a 70's concert bass?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 09:16:19 pm »
It pays to keep in mind that generally in talking about speakers, the more power a speaker and cabinet can handle, the less efficient they are. Less efficiency means you need more power to have the same volume. Greater efficency means less power is needed.

That being said, I would suggest looking to a cabinet that doesn't handle 400 or more watts. Any Sunn 2X15 cabinet with JBL's or Altecs would be great. Or a 1X15 and a 2X10 or 12 with some fairly efficient speakers, again, JBL's or Altecs. There is a reason why these speakers are looked on as the gold standard; they sound great and are very effiecent, well worth reconing....even 30 plus year old speakers.

But as we have all said time and again, try it out, you may find just the sound you dreamed of. And have fun doing it.

Offline fnoe2001

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 09:53:58 am »
Thx for the answer!  Another dumb question.  Which cabs have altec speakers?  Does any of the brand new stuff have those or JBL speakers?  Or would you wait for a vintage cab. to come available?  Thx again.

Offline Robbie Nuke

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 04:27:01 pm »
JBL D-140, E-140, K-140. Recones and originals still available on E-bay. Same goes for Altec 421 (several versions available here, series II or 8H my favorite). I always prefer the Dura-lum dust covers over the black ones... at least it looks like a JBL or Altec. I would recomend a 2x15 cabinet or two 1x15. I have two 1x15's and have on occasion overpowered the single driver (vintage D-140's) with a sunn Concert head when only using one cabinet. Singles sound great though. In a live band set-up I use only one single that I've reloaded with a 300 watt Eminence (stamped frame Delta Pro I think, actually for PA use but surprisingly bright too).